Data From the Precision Solar Photometric Telescope (Pspt) in Hawaii From March 1998 to March 1999
- 47 Downloads
Two Precision Solar Photometric Telescopes (PSPT) designed and built at the U.S. National Solar Observatory (NSO) are in operation in Rome and Hawaii. A third PSPT is now in operation the NSO at Sunspot, NM. The PSPT system records full disk solar images at three wavelengths: K line at 393.3 nm and two continua at 409 nm and 607 nm throughout the observing day. We currently study properties of limb darkening, sunspots, and network in these images with particular emphasis on data taken in July and September 1998. During this period, the number of observations per month was high enough to show directional properties of the radiation field surrounding sunspots. We show examples of our PSPT images and describe our study of bright rings around sunspots.
KeywordsRadiation Radiation Field Solar Observatory Directional Property Solar Image
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fox, P., White, O.R., Fontenla, J., Harvey, K.H., Avrett, E.H., and Kurucz, R.: 2000, ‘Modeling of Solar Irradiance Variations’, 2000 Proc. IUGG, Birmingham, Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics (in press).Google Scholar
- Berrilli, F., Florio, A., and Ermolli, I.: 1998, ‘On the Geometrical Properties of Chromospheric Network’, Solar Physics 180, 29–45.Google Scholar
- Berrilli, F., Ermolli, I., Florio, A., and Pietropaolo, E.: 1997, ‘Time Dependence of the Chromospheric Network Properties’, SIF Conferences Proceedings 58, 105–120.Google Scholar
- Caccin, B., Ermolli, I., Fofi, M., and Sambuco, A.M.: 1998, ‘Variations of the Chromospheric Network with the Solar Cycle’, Solar Physics 177, 295–303.Google Scholar
- Ermolli, I., Fofi, M., Bernacchia, C., Berrilli, F., Caccin, B., Egidi, A., and Florio, A.: 1998, ‘The Prototype RISE-PSPT Instrument Operating in Rome’, Solar Physics 177, 1–10.Google Scholar
- Kuhn, J.R., Lin, H., and Loranz, D.: 1991, ‘Gain Calibrating Non-uniform Image-Array Data Using Only the Image Data’, Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 103, 1097–1108.Google Scholar
- Rast, M.P., Fox, P.A., Lin, H., Lites, B.W., Meisner, R.W., and White, O.R.: 1999, ‘Bright Rings Around Sunspots’, Nature 401, 14,678–14,679.Google Scholar