Diagonalization of System plus Environment Hamiltonians
- 97 Downloads
A new approach to dissipative quantum systems modeled by a system plus environment Hamiltonian is presented. Using a continuous sequence of infinitesimal unitary transformations, the small quantum system is decoupled from its thermodynamically large environment. Dissipation enters through the observation that system observables generically “decay” completely into a different structure when the Hamiltonian is transformed into diagonal form. The method is particularly suited for studying low-temperature properties. This is demonstrated explicitly for the super-Ohmic spin-boson model.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. O. Caldeira and A. J. Leggett, Path integral approach to quantum Brownian motion, Physica 121A:587-616 (1983); 130A:374(E) (1985); Quantum tunneling in a Dissipative System, Ann. Phys. (N.Y.) 149:374–456 (1984); 153:45(E) (1984)Google Scholar
- 2.U. Weiss, Quantum Dissipative Systems (World Scientific, Singapore, 1993).Google Scholar
- 3.A. J. Leggett, S. Chakravarty, A. T. Dorsey, M. P. A. Fisher, A. Garg, and W. Zwerger, Dynamics of the dissipative two-state system, Rev. Mod. Phys. 59:1-85 (1987); 67:725(E) (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.M. Sassetti and U. Weiss, Universality in the dissipative two-state system, Phys. Rev. Lett. 65(18):2262-2265 (1990).Google Scholar
- 5.S. K. Kchrein and A. Mielke, Low temperature equilibrium correlation functions in dissipative quantum systems, Ann. Phys. (Leipzig) 6:90-135 (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.F. Wegner, Flow equations for Hamiltonians, Ann. Phys. (Leipzig) 3:77-91 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.S. D. Glazek and K. G. Wilson, Perturbative renormalization group for Hamiltonians, Phys. Rev. D 49(8):4214-4218 (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.P. W. Anderson, A poor man's derivation of scaling laws for the Kondo problem, J. Phys. C 3:2436-2441 (1970).Google Scholar
- 9.J. Arai, On a model of a harmonic oscillator coupled to a quantized, massless, scalar field. I, J. Math. Phys. 22:2539-2548 (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.F. Haake and R. Reibold, Strong damping and low-temperature anomalies for the harmonic oscillator, Phys. Rev. A 32:2462-2475 (1985).Google Scholar
- 11.H. Shiba, The Korringa relation for the impurity nuclear spin-lattice relaxation in dilute Kondo alloys, Prog. Theor. Phys. 54(4):967-981 (1975).Google Scholar
- 12.T. A. Costi and C. Kieffer, Equilibrium dynamics of the dissipative two-state system, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76(10):1683-1686 (1996).Google Scholar