Book Review Late Pleistocene and Holocene Hunter-Gatherers of the Matopos: An Archaeological Study of Change and Continuity in Zimbabwe (Societas Archaeologica Upsaliensis, Studies in African Archaeology 10). By N. J. Walker. Uppsala, 1995 134 Figures, 24 Plates, 122 Tables. ISSN 0284-5040. ISBN 91-506-1102-x.
- 45 Downloads
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong, A. L. (1931). Rhodesian Archaeological Expedition (1929): Excavation in Bambata Cave and researches on prehistoric sites in Southern Rhodesia. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 61: 239–276.Google Scholar
- Cooke, C. K. (1975). The Rhodesian Stone Age succession. Proceedings of the Pan-African Congress for Prehistory 6: 36–46.Google Scholar
- Jones, N. (1933). Excavations at Nswatugi and Madiliyangwa, and notes on new sites located and examined in the Matopos hills, Southern Rhodesia, 1932. Occasional Papers of the National Museum, Southern Rhodesia 1: 1–44.Google Scholar
- Mazel, A. D. (1989). People making history: the last ten thousand years of hunter-gatherer communities in the Thukela Basin. Natal Museum Journal of Humanities 1: 1–168.Google Scholar
- Wadley, L. (1987). Later Stone Age Hunter-Gatherers of the Southern Transvaal: Social and Ecological Interpretations. British Archaeological Reports International Series 380, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. J. (1983). The significance of an early date for pottery and sheep in Zimbabwe. South African Archaeological Bulletin 38: 88–92.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. J. (1987). The dating of Zimbabwean rock art. Australian Rock Art Research 4: 137–149.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. J. (1990). Zimbabwe at 18,000 BP. In Gamble, C., and Soffer, O. (eds.), The World at 18,000 B.P. Vol. 2. Low Latitudes, Unwin, Hyman, London, pp. 206–213.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. J. (1994a). Painting and ceremonial activity in the Later Stone Age of the Matopos, Zimbabwe. In Dowson, T. A., and Lewis-Williams, J. D. (eds.), Contested Images: Diversity in Southern African Rock Art Research, Witwatersrand University Press, Johannesburg, pp. 119–130.Google Scholar
- Walker, N. J. (1994b). Stone Age funerary practice in the Matopos; Zimbabwe: A contribution to understanding prehistoric death rites in southern Africa. Southern African Field Archaeology 3: 94–102.Google Scholar
© Plenum Publishing Corporation 1997