Minority Religions and Social Justice in Russian Courts: An Analysis of Recent Cases
- 64 Downloads
This paper presents a number of important recent cases from Russia involving new and minority faiths. The cases are examined to see how these unpopular groups are dealt within the context of a rapidly changing Russia. Conclusions are drawn about how the legal system in Russia operates concerning minority faiths, using the sociological variables discussed in this issue's introduction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ginsburg, G., and Richardson, J. T. (1998). “Brainwashing” testimony in light of Daubert. In Reece, H. (ed.), Law and Science. Oxford University Press, Oxford, pp. 265–288.Google Scholar
- Krylova, G. A. (1996). Psychiatry treats heterodoxy. Unpublished paper. Moscow.Google Scholar
- Krylova, G. A. (1998). Freedom of conscience on the scales of justice. Unpublished paper. Moscow.Google Scholar
- Krylova, G. A. (1999). The Jehovah's Witness case in Moscow. Presented at 13th International CESNUR Conference, Bryn Athyn, PA. June 2–5.Google Scholar
- Richardson, J. T. (1996). “Brainwashing” claims and minority religions outside the United States: Cultural diffusion of a questionable concept in the legal arena. Brigham Young University Law Review 1996: 873–904.Google Scholar
- Richardson, J. T. (2000a). Discretion and discrimination: Legal cases involving minority religions and objectionable alleged practices. Forthcoming, in Rex Ahdar (ed.), Law and Religion. Ashgate Publishers, Aldershot, England.Google Scholar
- Richardson, J. T. (2000b). Social justice and minority religions: A sociological introduction. Social Justice Research 12: 241–252.Google Scholar
- Shterin, M. S., and Richardson, J. T. (1998). Local laws restricting religion in Russia: Precursors of Russia's new national law. Journal of Church and State 40: 319–341.Google Scholar
- Shterin, M. S., and Richardson, J. T. (1999). Religious minorities and religious freedom in Russia: Examination of a major case. In Danchin, P. (ed.), The Protection of Religious Minorities in Europe: Law, Theory, and Practice. Columbia University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Shterin, M. S., and Richardson, J. T. (2000). The effects of Western anti-cult sentiment on the development of laws concerning religion in post-Communist Russia. Forthcoming, Journal of Church and State.Google Scholar