Investigation of debonding processes in particle-filled polymer materials by acoustic emission: Part I Acoustic emission and debonding stress
- 174 Downloads
Debonding processes in model composites under tensile deformation were investigated by acoustic emission analysis. The composites were prepared from epoxy and polyethylene matrix filled with glass beads of various sizes and with different coatings. The detected acoustic emission signals were identified as debonding processes at the filler–matrix interphase, and are discussed as a rupture process on the basis of the Weibull probability distribution function. For the model composites, the effect of the filler size is discussed using a theory based on Griffith’s criterion of rupture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.A. A. GRIFFITH, Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A221 (1920) 163.Google Scholar
- 5.W. WEIBULL, J. Appl. Mech. 18 (1951) 293.Google Scholar
- 6.S. S. MINKO, I. LUZINOV, A. VORONOV and R. MUSIY, Ukrain. Chemich. Z. 60 (1994) 727.Google Scholar
- 7.S. S. MINKO, I. LUZINOV, A. VORONOV and V. TOKAREV, “Polymer at Interphase, Synthesis, Adsorption, Conformation and Reactivity”, a report. State University Lvivska Polytechnika (1994).Google Scholar
- 8.R. KRAUS, A. ZHUK, I. LUZINOV, S. MINKO and W. WILKE, in “ECCM CTS2 2nd European Conference on Composite Materials, Composite Testing and Standardisation”, Hamburg edited by P. J. Hogg, K. Schulta and H. Wittich (Woodhead, Cambridge, 1994).Google Scholar
- 9.L. LORENZO and H. T. HAHN, J. Acoust. Emission 5 (1986) 15.Google Scholar
- 10.M. FAUDREE, E. BAER, A. HILTNER and J. COLLISTER, J. Compos. Mater. 22 (1988) 1170.Google Scholar
- 12.M. BRATRICH, B. HEISE, R. KRAUS, G. VOLSWINKLER, W. WILKE, G. BODOR and A. KALLÓ, Müanyag és Gumi 28 (1991) 273.Google Scholar
- 13.A. PAYER, Doctoral thesis, University of Ulm, in preparation (1997).Google Scholar