Investigation of debonding processes in particle-filled polymer materials by acoustic emission: Part II Acoustic emission amplitude and energy release by debonding
A theoretical description of the debonding process is presented by using Griffith’s criterion of rupture, that is applied to the balance of free energy during the debonding of a spherical filler particle from the polymer matrix. Debonding processes in model composites prepared from epoxy and polyethylene matrix filled with glass beads of various sizes have been investigated by acoustic emission analysis. The amplitude distribution for all AE events at the debonding stress was calculated and fitted by a Weibull distribution function. By comparing the results of debonding stress with the measured amplitudes, the influence of the different filler coatings on the energy balance of debonding can be discussed on the basis of the Griffith theory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. WOLTERS, “Anwendung der Schallemissions-Meßtechnik zum Beschreiben von Versagensmechanismen in partikelgefûllten Thermoplasten”, Fortschr.-Ber. VDI Reihe 5 Nr. 163, VDI Verlag, Düsseldorf (1989).Google Scholar
- 2.A. A. GRIFFITH, Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A221 (1920) 163.Google Scholar
- 6.R. KRAUSS, W. WILKE, A. ZHUK, I. LUZINOV, S. MINKO and A. VORONOV, ibid. 32 (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.A. A. POLLOCK, “International Advances in Nondestructive Testing”, Vol. 7, Gordon and Breach Science, (1981) pp. 215–39.Google Scholar
- 8.L. LORENZO, H. T. HAHN, J. Acoust. Emission 5 (1986) 15.Google Scholar
- 9.W. WEIBULL, J. Appl. Mech. 18 (1951) 293.Google Scholar
- 10.Y. H. WU, M. H. YANG, J. Y. KUO and S. P. CHANG, in “SPI International Symposium Acoustic Emission from Reinforced Composites”, edited by G. C. Sih and S. E. Hsu, Vol. 2, Montreal (VNU Science, Utrecht, 1987).Google Scholar
- 11.R. KRAUS, A. ZHUK, I. LUZINOV, S. MINKO and W. WILKE, in “ECCM CTS2 2nd European Conference on Composite Materials, Composite Testing and Standardisation”, edited by P. J. Hogg, K. Schulto and H. Wittach, Hamburg (Woodhead, Cambridge, 1994).Google Scholar