Weak Nonlinear Analysis of Moderate Stefan Number Oscillatory Convection in Rotating Mushy Layers
- 69 Downloads
We consider the solidification of a binary alloy in a mushy layer subject to Coriolis effects. A near-eutectic approximation and large far-field temperature is employed in order to study the dynamics of the mushy layer with a Stefan number of unit order of magnitude. The weak nonlinear theory is used to investigate analytically the Coriolis effect in a rotating mushy layer for a new moderate time scale proposed by the author. It is found that increasing the Taylor number favoured the forward bifurcation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amberg, G. and Homsey, G. M.: 1993, Nonlinear analysis of buoyant convection in binary solidification to channel formation, J. Fluid Mech. 252, 79–98.Google Scholar
- Anderson, D. M. and Worster, M. G.: 1995, Weakly nonlinear analysis of convection in mushy layers during the solidification of binary alloys, J. Fluid Mech. 302, 307–331.Google Scholar
- Anderson, D. M. and Worster, M. G.: 1996, A new oscillatory instability in a mushy layer during the solidification of binary alloys, J. Fluid Mech. 307, 245–267.Google Scholar
- Chen, F., Lu, J. W. and Yang, T. L.: 1994, Convective instability in ammonium chloride solution directionally solidified from below, J. Fluid Mech. 276, 163–187.Google Scholar
- Copley, S. M., Giamei, A. F., Johnson, S. M. and Hornbecker, M. F.: 1970, The origin of freckles in unidirectionally solidified castings, Metall. Trans. 1, 2193–2205.Google Scholar
- Drazin, P. G. and Reid, W. H.: 1981, Hydrodynamic Stability, Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Fowler, A. C.: 1985, The formation of freckles in binary alloys, IMA J. App. Math. 35, 159–174.Google Scholar
- Newell, A. C. and Whitehead, J. C.: 1969, Finite bandwidth, finite amplitude convection, J. Fluid. Mech. 38, 297–303.Google Scholar
- Nield, D. A.: 1999, Modelling effects of a magnetic field or rotation on flow in a porous medium, Int. J. Heat and Mass Tran. 42, 3715–3718.Google Scholar
- Segel, L. A.: 1969, Distant side-walls cause slow amplitude modulation of cellular convection, J. Fluid. Mech. 38, 203–224.Google Scholar
- Vadasz, P.: 1998, Coriolis effect on gravity driven convection in a rotating porous layer heated from below, J. Fluid. Mech. 376, 351–375.Google Scholar
- Worster, M. G.: 1992, Instabilities of the liquid and mushy regions during solidification of alloys, J. Fluid. Mech. 237, 649–669.Google Scholar