Nonparametric Approximation of the Density Function Logarithm of the Two-dimensional Random Variable
- 32 Downloads
Consideration was given to a method for approximating the probability density of a two-dimensional random variable with separate stages of generating the local estimates and smoothing the random errors. It was proposed to decompose the space on the basis of the source data into minimal-size domains where the local estimates of the density logarithm which correspond to the observation model with additive errors accepted in the regression analysis were generated. The error covariance matrix was shown to be completely definite and independent of the original density, which made it possible to apply the apparatus of nonparametric regression to optimizing the choice of the smoothing parameter.
KeywordsCovariance Regression Analysis Density Function Probability Density Covariance Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Devroye, L., and Györfi, L., Nonparametric Density Estimation. The L 1 View., New York: Wiley, 1985. Translated under the title Neparametricheskoe otsenivanie plotnosti. L 1 -podkhod, Moscow: Mir, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Silverman, B.W., Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis, New York: Chapman & Hall, 1986.Google Scholar
- 3.Hall, P. and Marron, J.S., Local Minima in Cross-validation Functions, J. Royal Statist. Soc. Ser. B, 1991, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 245-252.Google Scholar
- 4.Chiu, S.-T., The Effect of Discretization Error on Bandwidth Selection for Kernel Density Estimation, Biometrika, 1991, vol. 78, no. 2, pp. 436-441.Google Scholar
- 5.Dubov, R.I., Statistical Models for Geochemical Anomalies, in: Handbook of Exploration Geochemistry. Vol. 2. Statistics and Data Analysis in Geochemical Prospecting, Howarth, R.J., Ed., Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1983, pp. 325339.Google Scholar
- 6.Dubov, I.R., Generation of Observations and Approximation of the Density Function of the Distribution of the Continuous Random Variable, Avtom. Telemekh., 1998, no. 4, pp. 84-93.Google Scholar
- 7.Dubov, I.R., Generation of Direct Observations and Approximation of the Density Function upon Rounding the Experimental Data, Avtom. Telemekh., 2000, no. 3, pp. 90-101.Google Scholar
- 8.Wilks, S., Mathematical Statistics, New York: Wiley, 1962. Translated under the title Matematicheskaya statistika, Moscow: Nauka, 1967.Google Scholar
- 9.Härdle, W., Applied Nonparametric Regression, Cambridge: Cambridge Univ. Press, 1990. Translated under the title Prikladnaya neparametricheskaya regressiya, Moscow: Mir, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.Mallows, C.L., Some Comments on Cp, Technometrics, 1973, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 661-675.Google Scholar
- 11.Rice, J., Bandwidth Choice for Nonparametric Regression, Ann. Statist., 1984, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1215-1230.Google Scholar