An interchange optimization algorithm to construct partially-latinized designs is described. The objective function is a weighted linear combination of up to five functions, each of which corresponds to a blocking factor of the required design. Nested simulated annealing is used to address local optima problems. The average efficiency factors of the generated designs are assessed against theoretical upper bounds.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Eccleston, J. A. and Hedayat, A. (1974) On the theory of con-nected designs: characterization and optimality. Ann. Statist., 2, 1238–55.Google Scholar
- Eccleston, J. A. and McGilchrist, C. A. (1985) Algebra of a row-column design. J. Statist. Planning and Inference, 12, 305–10.Google Scholar
- Harshbarger, B. and Davis, L. L. (1952) Latinized rectangular lattices. Biometrics, 8, 73–84.Google Scholar
- John, J. A. and Street, D. J. (1992) Bounds for the effciency factor of row-column designs. Biometrika, 79, 658–61.Google Scholar
- John, J. A. and Williams, E. R. (1982) Conjectures for optimal block designs. J. Roy. Statist. Soc. B, 44, 221–25.Google Scholar
- John, J. A. and Williams, E. R. (1995) Cyclic and Computer Generated Designs. Chapman & Hall, London.Google Scholar
- Payne, R. W., Lane, P. W., Digby, P. G. N., Harding, S. A., Morgan, G. W., Todd, A. D., Thompson, R., Tunnicliffe Wilson, G., Welham, S. J. and White, R. P. (1993) Genstat 5 Release 3 Reference Manual. Oxford: Clarendon.Google Scholar
- SAS Institute (1992) SAS/STAT Software, Release 6.07. Cary: SAS Institute.Google Scholar
- Shah, K. R. (1960) Optimality criteria for incomplete block de-signs. Ann. Math. Statist., 31, 791–94.Google Scholar
- Whitaker, D. (1995) Nested simulated annealing algorithm. J. Statist. Comp. Simul., 53, 233–41.Google Scholar
- Whitaker, D., Williams E. R. and John, J. A. (1997) CycDesigN: A Package for the Computer Generation of Experimental Designs. CSIRO, Canberra.Google Scholar
- Williams, E. R. (1986) Row and column designs with contiguous replicates. Austral. J. Statist., 28, 154–63.Google Scholar
- Williams, E. R. and John, J. A. (1993) Upper bounds for latinized designs. Austral. J. Statist., 35, 229–36.Google Scholar