Are Popular and Classical Music Listeners the Same People?
- 1.4k Downloads
In this paper we propose a method for analysing the differences between theconsumption of popular and classical music, that we apply to Spain. Using theinformation contained in the Survey of Structure, Conscience and Biography ofClass, we estimate a bivariate probit model to characterise the audience foreach kind of music, we quantify the influence exerted by various socioeconomicfeatures on the demand for these goods and we describe the average profile ofconsumers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abbé-Decarroux, F. and Grin, F. (1992) "Risk, Risk Aversion and the Demand for Performing Arts", in R. Towse and A. Khakee (eds.), Cultural Economics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 121–140.Google Scholar
- Baumol, W. and Bowen, W. (1966) Performing Arts-The Economic Dilemma. The Twentieth Century Found, New York.Google Scholar
- Greene, W. (1997) Econometric Analysis (3rd edn.). MacMillan, New York.Google Scholar
- Heilbrun, J. and Gray, Ch. (1993) The Economics of Art and Culture. An American Perspective. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Kurabayashi, Y. and Ito, T. (1992) "Socio-Economic Characteristic of Audiences for Western Classical Music in Japan: A Statistical Analysis", in R. Towse and A. Khakee (eds.), Cultural Economics. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, pp. 257–287.Google Scholar
- Lévy-Garboua, L. and Montmarquette, C. (1996) "A Microeconometric Study of Theater Demand". Journal of Cultural Economics 20: 25–50.Google Scholar
- O'Hagan, J. (1996) "Access to and Participation in the Arts: the Case of Those with Low Incomes/Educational Attainment". Journal of Cultural Economics 20: 269–282.Google Scholar
- Throsby, C. and Withers, G. (1979) The Economics of Performing Arts. Edward Arnold Publishers, Melbourne.Google Scholar
- Towse, R. (1994) "Achieving Public Policy Objectives in the Arts and Heritage", in A. Peacock and I. Rizzo (eds.), Cultural Economics and Cultural Policies. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.Google Scholar