Galactic Evolution of the Light Elements: A New Set of B Observations
- 21 Downloads
The boron 2500 Å spectral region has been observed with the Goddard High Resolution Spectrograph (GHRS) of the Hubble Space Telescope (HST) in a new set of metal-poor stars and analyzed by spectrum synthesis technique, adopting the most recent model atmospheres. By taking into account the Li and Be abundances available from the literature for this same set of objects, the resulting patterns of their light elements abundances cannot be easily justified with the currently known stellar structure scenarios. The finding of real differences in the B content between stars with very similar stellar characteristics suggest that also production effects, rather than depletion and/or mixing only, should be taken into account as a possible and valuable explanation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anders, E. and Grevesse, N.: 1989, ‘Abundances of the Elements — Meteoritic and Solar’, Geochim. Cosmochim. Acta 53, 197–214.Google Scholar
- Boesgaard, A.M.: 1996, ‘Light Element Abundances in the Halo’, A.S.P. Conf. Series 92, 327–336.Google Scholar
- Deliyannis, C.P., Boesgaard, A.M., King, J.R. and Duncan, D.K.: 1997, ‘New Observations of Beryllium in the Galactic Halo’, ApJ, submitted.Google Scholar
- Duncan, D.K., Primas, F., Rebull, L.M., Boesgaard, A.M., Deliyannis, C.P., Hobbs, L.M., King, J.R. and Ryan, S.G.: 1997a, ‘The Evolution of Galactic Boron and the Production Site of the Light Elements’, ApJ 488, 338–349.Google Scholar
- Duncan, D.K., Peterson, R.C., Thorburn, J.A. and Pinsonneault, M.H.: 1997, ‘Boron Abundances and Internal Mixing in Stars I: The Hyades Giants’, ApJ, submitted.Google Scholar
- Kiselman, D.: 1994, ‘A NLTE Study of Neutral Boron in Solar-Type Stars’, A&A 286, 169–180.Google Scholar
- Kiselman, D. and Carlsson, M.: 1996, ‘The NLTE Formation of Neutral-Boron Lines in Cool Stars’, A&A 311, 680–689.Google Scholar
- Kurucz, R.L.: 1993a, ‘ATLAS9 Stellar Atmospheres Programs and 2 km/s Grid’, Smithsonian Astroph. Obs. CD-ROM no. 13.Google Scholar
- Kurucz, R.L.: 1993b, ‘SYNTHE Spectrum Synthesis Programs and Line Data’, Smithsonian Astroph. Obs. CD-ROM no. 18.Google Scholar
- Primas, F.: 1996, ‘The Challenge of Be Observations’, PhD Thesis — University of Trieste.Google Scholar
- Primas, F., Duncan, D.K. and Thorburn, J.A.: 1997, ‘A New Set of B Observations: Implications for Stellar Mixing and Cosmology’, in preparation.Google Scholar