1,3-Propanediol production by Klebsiella pneumoniae under different aeration strategies
1,3-Propanediol production by Klebsiella pneumoniae was studied in batch cultures under N2 flow and four airflow systems. Different byproducts were formed under different aeration conditions. An anaerobic/aerobic combined fed-batch culture was developed giving 70 g 1,3-propanediol l−1 and 16 g 2,3-butanediol l−1 with total diol yield of 0.6 mol−1 glycerol.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Biebl H, Menzel K, Zeng AP, Deckwer WD (1999) Microbial production of 1,3-propanediol. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 52: 289–297.Google Scholar
- Biebl H, Zeng AP, Menzel K, Deckwer WD (1998) Fermentation of glycerol to 1,3-propanediol and 2,3-butanediol by Klebsiella pneumoniae. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 50: 24–29.Google Scholar
- Chen Xi, Xiu Zhilong, Wang Jianfeng, Zheng Daijia, Xu Ping (2003) Stoichiometrc analysis and experimental investigation of glycerol bioconversion to 1,3-propanediol by Klebsiella pneumoniae under microaerobic conditions. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 33: 386–394.Google Scholar
- El-Ziney MG, Arneborg N, Uyttendaele M, Debevere J, Jakobsen M (1998) Characterization of growth and metabolite production of Lactobacillus reuteri during glucose/glycerol cofermentation in batch and continuous cultures. Biotechnol. Lett. 20: 913–916.Google Scholar
- Huang H, Gong CS, Tsao GT (2002) Production of 1,3-propanediol by Klebsiella pneumoniae. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 98: 687–698.Google Scholar
- Menzel K, Ahrens K, Zeng AP, Deckwer WD (1998) Kinetic, dynamic, and pathway studies of glycerol metabolism by Klebsiella pneumoniae in anaerobic continuous culture: IV. Enzymes and fluxes of pyruvate metabolism. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 60: 617–626.Google Scholar
- Reimann A, Biebl H, Deckwer WD (1998) Production of 1,3-propanediol by Clostridium butyricum in continuous culture with cell recycling. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 49: 359–363.Google Scholar
- Zeng AP, Biebl H, Schlieker H, Deckwer WD (1993) Pathway analysis of glycerol fermentation by Klebsiella pneumoniae: regulation of reducing equivalent balance and product formation. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 9: 770–779.Google Scholar
- Zeng AP, Ross A, Bieble H, Tag C (1994) Multiple Product inhibition and growth modeling of Clostridium butyricum and Klebsiella pneumoniae in glycerol fermentation. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 44: 902–911.Google Scholar