Calibration of GC-FID and IR Spectrometric Methods for Determination of High Boiling Petroleum Hydrocarbons in Environmental Samples
Calibration problems connected with the determination of C20-C44 petroleum hydrocarbons by gas chromatography – flame ionization detection (GC-FID) and IR spectrometric methods were studied in this paper. It has been found that the mass responses and mass response factors of FID determined by capillary GC-FID as well as by IR spectrometry, at wave number 2959 and 2924 cm-1, of high boiling petroleum distillation fractions (in the range C20-C46) are not constant. Moreover, it was found that mass response factors for differentpetroleum oils that have the same boiling temperature interval might differ up to 1.5 fold both for FID and IRD methods, dependingon their hydrocarbon group composition. However, calibration of the IR spectrometric method using the empirical equations proposed in DIN 38 409, Part 18, norm (for the determination of total petroleumhydrocarbons in waters polluted with high boiled petroleum fractions)gave results which overlapped within ±10% of the expected values.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Daucik, P., Jakubík, T., Pronayová, N. and Zuzi, B.: 1990, 'Automotive Lubrication', Technische Akademie Esslingen, Germany, 16–18 January 1990, Vol. 1, pp. 3.16–1 and 3.16–10.Google Scholar
- Daucik, P.: 2002, Petroleum Technology and Petrochemistry, Faculty of Chemical and Food Technology, STU Bratislava, Slovakia (personal communication).Google Scholar
- DIN 38 409, Part 18: 1981, 'Bestimmung von Kohlenwasserstoffen (H 18)', Deutsches Institut für Normung e.V., Berlin.Google Scholar
- Harmanos, H. L.: 1997, in R. L. Grob (ed.), Detectors and Data Handling in Modern Practice of Gas Chromatography, 3rd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, p. 279.Google Scholar
- Heim, H. and Kunze, W.: 1995, Umweltanalytik mit Spektrometrie und Chromatographie. Von Labopratorgestaltung bis zur Dateinterpretation, 2. Aktualisierte und Erweiterte Auflage, VCH Verlagsgesselschaft mbH., Weinheim, Germany.Google Scholar
- Hellman, H.: 1995, Umweltanalytik von Kohlenwasserstoffen, VCH Verlagsgesselschaft mbH., Weinheim, Germany.Google Scholar
- O'shay, T. A. and Hoddinott, K. B. (eds): 1994, 'Analysis of soils contaminated with petroleum constituents', ASTM PCN 04-012210-38, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.Google Scholar
- Potter, T. L.: 1993, in E. J. Calabrese and P. T. Kostecki (eds) Principles and Practices for Petroleum Contaminated Soils, Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton, FL, Ch. 1, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z. and Fingas, M.: 1997, 'Developments in the analysis of petroleum hydrocarbons in oils, petroleum products and oil-spill-related envioronmental samples by gas chromatography', J. Chromatogr. 774, 51.Google Scholar