Monitoring of the Degradation Activities and the Diversity of the Microbial Community Degrading Refinery Waste Sludge
- 34 Downloads
The biodegradation of n-alkanes and branched alkanes from waste sludge were observed in landfarming soils of Motor Oil Hellas (a petroleum refinery) and changes in the bacterial communities in the soils were monitored during the remediation. Bacterial 16S rRNA gene (rDNA)-based community fingerprint patterns were obtained from soil samples by terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism (T-RFLP) analysis. Changes in T-RFLP fingerprints, as well as in the petroleum contaminant composition of the polluted soil, correlated with degradation activities in field tests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Borneman, J., Skroch, P. W., O'Sullivan, K. M., Palus, J. A., Rumjanek, N. G., Jansen, J. L., Nienhuis, J. and Triplett, E. W.: 1996, ‘Molecular microbial diversity of an agricultural soil in Wisconsin’, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 62(6), 1935-1943.Google Scholar
- Katsivela, E. and Kalogerakis, N.: 2000, ‘Biodegradation of aliphatic petroleum hydrocarbons in refinery waste sludges’, in V. A. Tsihrintzis, G. P. Korfiatis, K. L. Katsifarakis and A. C. Demetracopoulos (eds.), Proceedings of an International Conference “Protection and Restoration of the Environment V”I, V. Bouris Press, Thessaloniki-Kalamaria, Vol. II, pp. 793-799.Google Scholar
- Liu, W. T., Marsh, T. L., Cheng, H. and Forney, L. J.: 1997, ‘Characterization of microbial diversity by determining terminal restriction fragment length polymorphism of genes encoding 16S rRNA’, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63, 4516-4522.Google Scholar
- Moore, E. R. B., Mau, M., Arnscheidt, A., Böttger, E. C., Hutson, R. A., Collins, M. D., Van De Peer, Y., De Wachter, R. and Timmis, K. N.: 1996, ‘The determination and comparison of the 16S rRNA gene sequences of species of the genus Pseudomonas (sensu stricto) and estimation of the natural intrageneric relationships’, Syst. Appl. Microbiol. 19, 476-492Google Scholar
- Moore, E. R. B., Arnscheidt, A., Krüger, A., Strömpl, C., Mau, M.: 1999, ‘Simplified protocols for the preparation of genomic DNA from bacterial cultures’, in A. D. L. Akkermans, J. D. van Elsas and F. J. de Bruijn (eds.), Molecular Microbial Ecology Manual, Kluwer Academic Publisher, 1.6.1, pp. 1-15.Google Scholar