Micropropagation of Cypripedium macranthos var. rebunense through Protocorm-like Bodies Derived from Mature Seeds
Cypripedium macranthos var. rebunense is the most famous terrestrial orchid in Japan, since the variety has large beautiful yellowish-white flowers and is threatened with extinction. Establishment of an efficient method for micropropagation is urgently needed. When imbibed mature seeds of the orchid, that had been pre-chilled at 4°C for 3 months, were sown onto Hyponex-peptone medium that contained both α-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) and cytokinin, protocorm-like bodies (PLBs) were formed from germinated seeds. Although the growth of PLBs was very slow, plantlets were easily regenerated from the PLBs on hormone-free medium. The PLBs were subcultured eight times along 2 years without loss of ability to regenerate plantlets, and one aggregate of PLBs (ca. 5 mm in diameter) produced ca. 10 plants within a year. A reduction of commercial value through a large-scale micropropagation by this method will be able to prevent illegal collection from the wild populations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arditti J (1977) Clonal propagation of orchids by means of tissue culture: a manual. In: Arditti J (ed) Orchid Biology: Reviews and Perspectives, I (pp. 203–293). Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- De Pauw MA & Remphrey WR (1993) In vitro germination of three Cypripedium species in relation to time of seed collection, media, and cold treatment. Can. J. Bot. 71: 879–885Google Scholar
- Lauzer D, St-Arnaud M & Barabe D (1994) Tetrazolium staining and in vitro germination of mature seeds of Cypripedium acaule (Orchidaceae). Lindleyana 9(3): 197–204Google Scholar
- Murashige T & Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tabacco tissue cultures. Physiol. Plant 15: 473–497Google Scholar
- Tomita M (1996) Effects of media and time of seed collection on seed germination of Cypripedium macranthum var. rebunense. Combined Proc. Int. Plant Propagator's Soc. 46: 730–734Google Scholar
- Tomita M & Tomita M (1997) Plant regeneration from immature seed-derived callus of Cypripedium macranthos Swartz var. taiwanianum (Masamune) F. Maekawa. Breed. Sci. 47: 279–281Google Scholar
- Van Waes JM & Debergh PC (1986) In vitro germination of some Western European orchids. Physiol. Plant 67: 253–261Google Scholar