The Effect of Various Culture Media on the Formation of Embryo-like Structures in Cultures Derived from Explants Taken from Mature Larix decidua
- 97 Downloads
The effect of various collection dates and nine different culture media on the formation of ‘embryo-like structures’ (ELS) in cultures derived from explants taken from a 42-year-old Larix decidua tree was studied. The best medium was AFC, a medium low in NH4−, NO3+, Mg2+ and SO42− but high in PO43− compared with the concentration of these elements in the other media. On AFC, ELS production reached a peak with collections made in late summer during the period when needle primordia are being initiated. For the other media, collection date had a lesser effect on ELS initiation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Badaoui HEl, Morard P & Henry M (1996) Stimulation of the growth and solamargine production by Solanum paludosum multiple shoot cultures using a new culture medium. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 45: 153–158Google Scholar
- Danso KE & Ford-Lloyd BV (2002) Induction of high-frequency somatic embryos in cassava for cryopreservation. Plant Cell Rep. 21: 226–232Google Scholar
- Ewald D (1998) Advances in tissue culture of adult larch. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant 34: 325–330Google Scholar
- Klimaszewska K, Park YS, Overton C, MacEacheron I & Bonga JM (2001) Optimized somatic embryogenesis in Pinus strobus L. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant 37: 392–399Google Scholar
- Monteiro ACB de A, Higashi EN, Goncalves AN & Rodriguez APM (2000) A novel approach for the definition of the inorganic medium components for micropropagation of yellow passionfruit (Passiflora edulis Sims. F. Flavicarpa Deg.). In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant 36: 527–531Google Scholar
- Park YS, Barrett JD & Bonga JM (1998) Application of somatic embryogenesis in high-value clonal forestry: Deployment, genetic control, and stability of cryopreserved clones. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Plant 34: 231–239Google Scholar
- Smith DR (1997) The role of in vitro methods in pine plantation establishment: The lesson from New Zealand. Plant Tiss. Cult. Biotech. 3: 63–73Google Scholar
- Tremblay FM (1990) Somatic embryogenesis and plant regeneration from embryos isolated from stored seeds of Picea glauca. Can. J. Bot. 68: 236–242Google Scholar