Comparison Between Halo cme Expansion Speeds Observed on the Sun, the Related Shock Transit Speeds to Earth and Corresponding Ejecta Speeds at 1 au
- 81 Downloads
We have compared characteristics of 38 halo coronal mass ejections observed on the Sun by the Large Angle and Spectrometric Coronagraph onboard SOHO with their corresponding counterparts observed near Earth by the magnetic field and plasma instruments onboard the ACE, WIND and SOHO satellites, in the period from January 1997 to April 2001. We only have selected events that have some associated interplanetary ejecta structure at 1 AU and we have compared the lateral expansion speeds of these halo CMEs and the corresponding ejecta speeds near Earth. We found that there is a high correlation between these two speeds. The results are very similar to the study done by Lindsay et al. (1999) using observations made by Solwind and SMM coronagraphs, and Helios-1 and PVO plasma and interplanetary field data from the period of 1979 to 1988. Also, we reviewed the relation between the CME-related shock transit speed to Earth and the ejecta speeds near Earth. This kind of relation is very important to estimate ejecta speeds of events for which no interplanetary observations are available.
KeywordsMagnetic Field Field Data Coronal Mass Ejection Lateral Expansion Halo CMEs
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brueckner, G. E., Howard, R. A., Koomen, M. J., Korendyke, C. M., Michels, D. J., Moses, J. D., Socker, D.G., Dere, K.P., Lamy, P.L., Llebaria, A., Bout, M.V., Simnett, G.M., Bedford, D.K., and Eyles, C. J.: 1995, Solar Phys. 162, 357.Google Scholar
- Gosling, J. T., Bame, S. J., McComas, D. J., and Phillips, J. L.: 1990, Geophys. Res. Lett. 17, 901.Google Scholar
- Gosling, J. T., McComas, D. J., Phillips, J. L., and Bame, S. J.: 1991, J. Geophys. Res. 96, 7831.Google Scholar
- Howard, R. A., Brueckner, G. E., St. Cyr, O. C., Biesecker, D. A., Dere, K. P., Koomen, M. J., Koren-dyke, C. M., Lamy, P. L., Llebaria, A., Bout, M. V., Michels, D. J., Moses, J. D., Paswaters, S. E., Plunkett, S. P., Schwenn, R., Simnett, G. M., Socker, D. G., Tappin, S. J., and Wang, D.: 1997, in N. Crooker, J. A. Joselyn, and J. Feynman (eds.), 'Observations of CME from SOHO/LASCO', Coronal Mass Ejections, Washington, DC, AGU, pp. 17–26.Google Scholar
- Neugebauer, M. and Goldstein, R.: 1997, Particle and Field Signatures of Coronal Mass Ejections in the Solar Wind. in N. Crooker, J. A. Joselyn, and J. Feynman (eds.), Coronal Mass Ejections, Washington, DC, AGU, pp. 245–251.Google Scholar
- Schwenn, R., Dal Lago, A., Gonzalez, W. D., Huttunen, E., St. Cyr, C. O., and Plunkett, S. P.: 2001, Eos Trans. AGU 82, 47.Google Scholar