Simulating stochastically excited oscillations: The mode lifetime of ξ Hya
- 50 Downloads
The discovery of solar-like oscillations in the giant star ξ Hya (G7 III) was reported by Frandsen et al. (2002). Their frequency analysis was very limited due to alias problems in the data set (caused by single-site observations). The extent to which the aliasing affected their analysis was unclear due to the unknown damping time of the stellar oscillation modes. In this paper we describe a simulator created to generate time series of stochastically excited oscillations, which takes as input an arbitrary window function and includes both white and non-white noise. We also outline a new method to compare a large number of simulated time series with an observed time series to determine the damping time, amplitude, and limited information on the degree of the stochastically excited modes. For ξ Hya we find the most likely amplitude to be ∼ 2 m s−1, in good agreement with theory (Houdek and Gough, 2002), and the most likely damping time to be ∼ 2 days, which is much shorter than the theoretical value of 15–20 days calculated by Houdek and Gough (2002).
KeywordsTime Series Simulated Time Frequency Analysis Oscillation Mode Aliasing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bedding, T. R., Kjeldsen, H., Butler, R. P., McCarthy, C., Marcy, G.W., O'Toole, S. J., Tinney, C. G., and Wright, J. T.: 2004, Astrophys. J., submitted.Google Scholar
- De Ridder, J.: 2002, Time Series Simulator. Technical Report, Rømer Science Data Center, Aarhus Universitet.Google Scholar
- De Ridder, J., Kjeldsen, H., Arentoft, T., and Claret, A.: 2003, ‘‘The EDDINGTON Light Curve Simulator’. Proc. 2nd Eddington Workshop, ESA-SP538.Google Scholar
- Kjeldsen, H.: 2003, Astrophys. J. Suppl. Series 284, 1.Google Scholar
- Kjeldsen, H. and Bedding, T. R.: 1998, ‘MONS: A proposal for a Danish satellite’. in H. Kjeldsen and T. R. Bedding (eds.), The First MONS Workshop: Science with a Small Space Telescope, held in Aarhus, Denmark, June 29–30, 1998, Aarhus Universitet, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Leifsen, T., Andersen, B. N., and Toutain, T.: 2001, ‘Temporal Behaviour of Radial p-Modes’, in: ESA SP-464; SOHO 10/GONG 2000 Workshop: Helio-and Asteroseismology at the Dawn of the Millennium, p. 63.Google Scholar
- Priestley, M. B.: 1981, Spectral Analysis and Time Series, Vol. 1, Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Stello, D.: 2002, ‘Detecting Solar-Like Oscillations in the Giant Star ξ Hydrae. New prospects for Asteroseismology throughout the HR-Diagram’. Master's thesis, Institut for Fysik og Astronomi, Aarhus Universitet. Available HTTP: http://www.phys.au.dk/~stello/Publications/thesis.pdf.Google Scholar
- Teixeira, T. C.: 2002, private communication.Google Scholar