Effect of gentamicin on serum digoxin level in patients with congestive heart failure
- 55 Downloads
Objective: Gentamicin is frequently used to treat infectious diseases in patients receiving digitalis therapy. The aim of this study is to evaluate the effect of gentamicin on serum digoxin level.
Method: Twenty-four diabetic patients and patients with congestive heart failure and twelve normal healthy volunteers were enrolled in this study. The patients received digoxin treatment 0.25 mg/day. Gentamicin in a dose of 80 mg i.m. twice a day for 7 days was prescribed for these patients to treat chest infection. Serum digoxin and creatinine levels were determined before and after gentamicin administration.
Results: Gentamicin induced a significant increase in serum digoxin level of diabetic patients and patients with congestive heart failure. Serum creatinine level increased significantly before and after i.m. injection of gentamicin.
Conclusion: The present study indicated that increase serum digoxin level when combined with gentamicin should be considered a risk factor for digitalis toxicity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Staneva SD, Kristeva E, Prodanova K. Some pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic interactions between digoxin and gentamicin. Eur J Drug Met Pharmacol 1992; 17: 1-8.Google Scholar
- 2.Doherty JM. A digoxin-antibiotics drug interaction. NEJM 1981; 305: 27-8.Google Scholar
- 3.Alkadi HO. Effect of some antimicrobial agents on digoxin pharmacokinetics. [Dissertation], Zagazig University, Egypt, 1994; 65-82.Google Scholar
- 4.Gault MH. Digoxin metabolism. Clin Chem 1987; 33: 1052-3.Google Scholar
- 5.Koren G, McLeods SM. Characteristics of the digoxin verapamil interaction in the rat kidney. Res Commun Chem Pathol Pharmacol 1984; 45: 3-18.Google Scholar
- 6.Schinkel AH, Wagenaar E, Van Deemter L, Mol CA, Borst P. Absence of the mdrla P-Glycoprotein in mice affects tissue distribution and pharmacokinetics of dexamethasone, digoxin and cyclosporin A. J Clin Invest 1995; 96: 1698-705.Google Scholar
- 7.Joel GH, Lee EL, editors. Goodman & Gilman's the Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. Tenth ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001; 1225 pp.Google Scholar
- 8.Ramesh K, Goyal Sunita MJ, Jayessh JS, Dave KC, Mehata HC. Altered digoxin levels in diabetic patients with congestive cardiac failure. Indian J Pharmacol 1987; 19: 117-23.Google Scholar
- 9.Godfraind T. Cardiac glycosides receptors in the heart. Biochem Pharmacol 1975; 24: 823-7.Google Scholar
- 10.Godfraind T, Noel F, Finet M. Calcium regulatory mechanisms involved in the inotropic effect of digitalis. J Mol Cell Cardiol 1983; 15(Suppl. 2): 43.Google Scholar