There are now millions of PowerPoint documents available within corporate intranets and/or over the Internet. In this paper, we develop a formal model of PowerPoint databases. We propose a relational style algebra called pptA (PowerPoint Algebra) to query PowerPoint databases. The algebra contains some new operators (such as the APPLY operator that changes properties of objects, slides and presentations) as well as interesting twists on relational operators (e.g. join and cartesian product allow different entities being joined together to share attributes whose values may be merged). We prove a set of equivalence results within this algebra. We have implemented a version of pptA—the paper provides a cost model and experimental results on the conditions under which these equivalences are useful.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Adali, M.L. Sapino, and V.S. Subrahmanian, "Interactive multimedia presentation databases, I: Algebra and query equivalences," ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 212-230, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Baral, G. Gonzalez, and T.C. Som, "Design and implementation of display specifications for multimedia answers," ICDE'98, Orlando, Florida, 1998, pp. 558-565.Google Scholar
- 3.M.C. Buchanan and P.T. Zellweger, "Automatically generating consistent schedules for multimedia documents," ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 1, No. 2, 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.V. Hakkoymaz, J. Kraft, and G. Ozsoyoglu, "Constraint based automation of multimedia presentation assembly," ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 7, No. 6, 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.M.Y. Kim and J. Song, "Multimedia documents with elastic time," ACM Multimedia Conference, 1995.Google Scholar
- 6.T. Lee, L. Sheng, T. Bozkaya, N.H. Balkir, Z.M. Ozsoyoglu, and G. Ozsoyoglu, "Querying multimedia presentations based on content," IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 11, No. 3, 1999.Google Scholar
- 7.J. Lin and Z.M. Ozsoyoglu, "Processing OODB queries by O-algebra," in Proc. 8th International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, Rockville, MD, 1996, pp. 134-142.Google Scholar
- 8.T.D.C. Little and A. Ghafoor, "Synchronization and storage models for multimedia objects," IEEE J. on Selected Areas of Communications, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 413-427, 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.M.T. Ozsu, D. Szafron, G. El-Medani, and C. Vittal, "An object-oriented multimedia database system for a news-on-demand application," ACM/Springer Multimedia Systems Journal, Vol. 3, Nos. 5/6, pp. 182-203, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.V.S. Subrahmanian, Principles of Multimedia Database Systems, Morgan Kaufmann, 1998.Google Scholar