Procedures, Resources and Selected Results of the Deep Ecliptic Survey
- 33 Downloads
The Deep Ecliptic Survey is a project whose goal is to survey a largearea of the near-ecliptic region to a faint limiting magnitude (R ∼24) in search of objects in the outer solar system. We are collectinga large homogeneous data sample from the Kitt Peak Mayall 4-m and CerroTololo Blanco 4-m telescopes with the Mosaic prime-focus CCD cameras.Our goal is to collect a sample of 500 objects with good orbits to furtherour understanding of the dynamical structure of the outer solar system.This survey has been in progress since 1998 and is responsible for 272designated discoveries as of March 2003. We summarize our techniques,highlight recent results, and describe publically available resources.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bernstein, G. and Khushalani, B.: 2000, ‘Orbit Fitting and Uncertainties for Kuiper Belt Objects’ Astron. J. 120, 3323–3332.Google Scholar
- Brunini, A. and Melita, M. D.: 2002, ‘The Existence of a Planet Beyond 50 AU fand the Orbital Distribution of the Classical Edgeworth-Kuiper-Objects’ Icarus 160, 32–43.Google Scholar
- Chiang, E. I., Jordan, A. B., Millis, R. L., Buie, M. W., Wasserman, L. H., Elliot, J. L., Kern, S. D., Trilling, D. E., Meech, K. J., and Wagner, R. M.: 2003a, ‘Resonance Occupation in the Kuiper Belt: Case Examples of the 5:2 and 1:1 Resonances’ Astron. J. 126, 430–443.Google Scholar
- Chiang, E. I., Millis, R. L., Buie, M. W., Wasserman, L. H., and Meech, K. J.: 2003b, ‘Resonant and Secular Families of the Kuiper Belt’ (this volume).Google Scholar
- Gladman, B., Holman, M., Grav, T., Kavelaars, J., Nicholson, P., Aksnes, K., and Petit, J.-M.: 2002, ‘Evidence for an Extended Scattered Disk’ Icarus 157, 269–279.Google Scholar
- Millis, R. L., Buie, M. W., Wasserman, L. H., Elliot, J. L., Kern, S. D., and Wagner, R. M.: 2002, ‘The Deep Ecliptic Survey: A Search for Kuiper Belt Objects and Centaurs. I. Description of Methods and Initial Results’ Astron. J. 123, 2083–2109.Google Scholar
- Trujillo, C. A. and Brown, M. E.: 2001, ‘The Radial Distribution of the Kuiper Belt’ Ap. J. 554, L95–L98.Google Scholar