Element concentrations in hair of children living in environmentally degraded districts of the East Aral Sea region
Environmental conditions were evaluated by element concentrations in hair of children living near the Aral Sea. Hair samples were provided by 63 children living near the Sea (K-district), and 143 children living about 600 km from the Sea (Z-district). PIXE was applied for the determination of elemental concentrations. The concentrations of Br, Na, Hg, and Ni were higher in K-district, and those of Al, Ca, Cr, P, S, and Si were higher in Z-district than in the other district, respectively. It is considered that these results reflect the environmental situation.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. P. Micklin, Science, 241 (1988) 1170.Google Scholar
- 2.M. H. Glantz, Creeping Environmental Problems and Sustainable Development in the Aral Sea Basin, Cambridge University Press, UK, 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.K. L. Kiessling, Ambio, 27 (1998) 560.Google Scholar
- 4.K. Sera, S. Futatsugawa, K. Matsuda, Nucl. Instr. Meth., B150 (1999) 226.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Sera, S. Futatsukawa, Nucl. Instr. Meth., B109/110 (1996) 99.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Sera, S. Futatsukawa, S. Murao, Nucl. Instr. Meth. Phys. Res., B189 (2002) 226.Google Scholar