Improved Optical Setup to Measure Growth and Megting of Solid 3He Below 1 mK in Magnetic Fields Up to 9 Tesla
- 25 Downloads
Recent experiments on crystal growth and crystal shape in 3He at zero magnetic field at 0.55 mK by Tsepelin et al.1, 2 in Helsinki have revealed many new facets and strong anisotropy in the growth rates. Since 3He presents the unique possibility of investigating the influence of a magnetic field on crystal growth properties, we intend to extend our experimental studies of the shape and growth rate of solid 3He to magnetic fields up to 9 T at temperatures as low as possible.For that purpose our optical access cryostat with low temperature CCD has been upgraded and modified. The low temperature LED is replaced by a room temperature source coupled to the cell with an optical fiber to obtain clear images of the growth process. Our Pomeranchuk cell has been fitted with a new optical section with pure quartz windows. It has a larger diameter, a larger distance between the optical windows, and an improved thermal link. Also the heat switches between the nuclear stage and the dilution refrigerator were replaced according to a more sturdy design. Initial resugts show clear crystals with sharp facet edges down to T=0.4 mK.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and I. A. Todoshchenko, Phys. Rev. Lett. 88, 045302, (2002).Google Scholar
- 2.V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, J. P. H. Hrme, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and G. Tvalashvili, Phys. Rev. Lett. 86, 1042, (2001).Google Scholar
- 3.R. Wagner, P. J. Ras, P. Remeijer, and S. C. Steel, G. Frossati, J. Low Temp. Phys. 95, 715, (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Akimoto, R. van Rooijen, A. Marchenkov, and R. Jochemsen, G. Frossati, Physica B 255, 19, (1998).Google Scholar
- 5.R. Nomura, H. H. Hensley, T. Matsushita, and T. Mizusaki, J. Low Temp. Phys. 94, 377, (1994).Google Scholar
- 6.Y. Kawaguchi, and T. Mizusaki, Physica B 329-333, 388, (2003).Google Scholar
- 7.R. van Rooijen, A. Marchenkov, H. Akimoto, O. Andreeva, P. van de Haar, R. Jochemsen, and G. Frossati, J. Low Temp. Phys. 124, 497, (2001).Google Scholar
- 8.A. Marchenkov, Ph.D. Thesis Leiden University ((1997).), unpublishedGoogle Scholar
- 9.W. Griffioen, and G. Frossati, Rev. Sci. Instr. 85, 1235, (1985).Google Scholar
- 10.Y. M. Bunkov, Cryogenics 29, 938, (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.V. Tsepelin, H. Alles, A. Babkin, J. P. H. Harme, R. Jochemsen, A. Ya. Parshin, and G. Tvalashvili, J. Low Temp. Phys. 121, 695, (2000).Google Scholar