Effect of rare-earth oxides on fracture properties of ceria ceramics
The influences of the sintering additive content of rare-earth oxide (Y2O3, Gd2O3, Sm2O3) on microstructure and mechanical properties of ceria ceramics were investigated by scanning electron microscopy and small specimen technique. A small punch testing method was employed to determine the elastic modulus and biaxial fracture stress of the ceria-based ceramics, and the fracture toughness was estimated by Vickers indentation method. Grain growth in the rare-earth oxides doped ceria ceramics was significantly suppressed, compared to the pure ceria ceramics. However, the elastic modulus, fracture stress and fracture toughness were decreased significantly with increasing additive content of the rare-earth oxides, possibly due to the oxygen vacancies induced by the rare earth oxides doping. The experimental results suggest that the change in the mechanical properties should be taken into account in the use of ceria-based ceramics for solid oxide fuel cells, in addition to the improvement of oxygen ion conductivity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Q. MINH, J. Amer. Ceram. Soc. 76 (1993) 563.Google Scholar
- 2.S. C. SINGHAL, Solid State Ion. 135 (2000) 305.Google Scholar
- 3.H. INABA and H. TAGAWA, ibid. 83 (1996) 1.Google Scholar
- 4.M. MOGENSEN, N. M. SAMMES and G. A. TOMPSETT, ibid. 129 (2000) 63.Google Scholar
- 5.H. YAHIRO, K. EGUCHI and H. ARAI, ibid. 36 (1989) 71.Google Scholar
- 6.C. TIAN and S.-W. CHAN, ibid. 134 (2000) 89.Google Scholar
- 7.S. SAMESHIMA, T. ICHIKAWA, M. KAWAMINAMI and Y. HIRATA, Mater. Chem. Phys. 61 (1999) 31.Google Scholar
- 8.A. ATKINSON and A. SELCUK, Solid State Ion. 134 (2000) 59.Google Scholar
- 9.N. SAMMES, G. TOMPSETT, Y. ZHANG, A. CARTNER and R. TORRENS, Denki Kagaku 64 (1996) 674.Google Scholar
- 10.J. VAN HERLE, R. IHRINGER, N. M. SAMMES, K. KENDALL, K. YAMADA, C. WEN, T. KAWADA, M. IHARA and J. MIZUSAKI, Solid State Ion. 132 (2000) 333.Google Scholar
- 11.O. BELLON, N. M. SAMMES and J. STANIFORTH, J. Power Sources 75 (1998) 116.Google Scholar
- 12.Y.-H. JOO, T. HASHIDA, H. TAKAHASHI and K. SHIMOMURA, J. Test. Eval. 20 (1992) 336.Google Scholar
- 13.S. OKUDA, M. SAITO, T. HASHIDA and H. TAKAHASHI, Trans. JSME(A) 57(536) (1991) 940.Google Scholar