Management of Inadvertent Left Ventricular Permanent Pacing
Inadvertent implantation of a pacemaker lead in the left ventricle is an uncommon complication. We report a case of a permanent pacemaker lead inadvertently placed through the left subclavian artery, across the aortic valve into the left ventricle. A chest X-ray one month after the procedure showed an unusual course of the lead and a 12-lead ECG and a transthoracic echocardiogram confirmed the diagnosis. The patient refused surgical removal and remained on fulll anticoagulation. No clinical events were recorded during a 3-year follow-up. In such cases we propose life-long full anticoagulation as an alternative to surgical lead extraction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Splitgerber FH, Ulbricht LJ, Reifschneider HJ, Probst H, Gülker H, Minale C. Left ventricular malposition of a transvenous cardioverter defibrillator lead. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol1993;16:1066-1069.Google Scholar
- 2.Huang WM, Xin ZP, Tung CL. An unusual electrocardiographic pattern of left ventricular endocardial pacing. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol1980;3:597-599.Google Scholar
- 3.Van Gelder BM, Bracke FA, Oto A, Yildirir A, Haas PC, Seger JJ, Stainback RF, Botman K, Meijer A. Diagnosis and management of inadvertently placed pacing and ICD leads in the left ventricle: A multicenter experience and review of the literature. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol2000;23:877-883.Google Scholar
- 4.Sharifi M, Sorkin R, Lakier JB. Left heart pacing and cardioembolic stroke. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol1994: 17:1691-1696.Google Scholar
- 5.Adnan Aslam AA, McIlwain EF, Talano JV, Ferguson TB, McKinnie J, Kerut EK. An unusual case of embolic stroke: A permanent ventricular pacemaker lead entirely within the arterial system documented by transthoracic and transesophageal echocardiography. Echocardiography1999;16:373-378.Google Scholar
- 6.Winner SJ, Boon NA. Transvenous pacemaker electrodes placed unintentionally in the left ventricle: Three cases. Postgrad Med J1989:65:98-102.Google Scholar
- 7.Mazzetti H, Dussaut A, Tentoric, Dussaut E, Lazzari JO. Transarterial permanent pacing of the left ventricle. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol1990:13:588-592.Google Scholar