Coculture with a Human Granulosa Cell Line Enhanced the Development of Murine Preimplantation Embryos via SCF/c-Kit System
- 74 Downloads
Purpose: To evaluate the effect on the coculture of murine embryos with a human ovarian granulosa tumor derived cell line (KGN cells).
Methods: We observed microscopically the growth of murine preimplantation embryos in the coculture system with KGN cells or in the presence with exogenous stem cell factor (SCF). The reverse transcriptase–polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) method was used to analyze the gene expression of SCF in KGN cells cocultured with murine embryos.
Results: The coculture system with KGN cells significantly increased the rate of embryo development to late blastocyst and to hatching stage. We also found that coculture with murine embryos enhanced the gene expression of SCF in KGN cells. Adding human recombinant SCF to the medium significantly enhanced embryo development to late blastocyst and hatching stage.
Conclusions: KGN cells may facilitate preimplantion embryo development through SCF/c-kit paracrine system.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.Larson RC, Ignotz GG, Currie WB: Transforming growth factor beta and basic fibroblast growth factor synergistically promote early bovine embryo development during the fourth cell cycle. Mol Hum Reprod 1992;33:432–435Google Scholar
- 9.Wei Z, Park KW, Day BN, Prather RS: Effect of epidermal growth factor on preimplantation development and its receptor expression in porcine embryos.MolHumReprod 2001;60:457–462Google Scholar
- 11.Nishi Y, Yanase T, Mu YM, Oba K, Ichino I, Saito M, Nomura M, Mukasa C, Okabe T, Goto K, Takayanagi R, Kashimura Y, Haji M, Nawata H: Establishment and characterization of a steroidogenic human granulosa-like tumor cell line, KGN, that expresses functional follicle-stimulating hormone receptor. Endocrinology 2001;142:437–445CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Otsuka F, Shimasaki S: A negative feedback system between oocyte bone morphogenetic protein 15 and granulosa cell kit ligand: Its role in regulating granulosa cell mitosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2002;99:8060–8065Google Scholar
- 15.Saez C, Gonzalez AC, Japon MA, Giraldez J, Segura DI, Rodriguez-Vallejo JM, Gonzalez-Esteban J, Miranda G, Torrubia F: Expression of basic Fibroblast growth factor and its receptor FGFR1 and FGFR2 in human benign prostatic hyperplasia treated with finasteride. Prostate 1999;40:83–88CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Plachot M, Antoine JM, Alvarez S, Firmin C, Pfister A, Mandelbaum J, Junca AM, Baroux JS: Granulosa cells improve human embryo development in vitro. Hum Reprod 1993;12:2133–2140Google Scholar
- 21.Wiemer KE, Hoffman DI, Maxson WS, Eager S, Muhlberger B, Fiore I, Cuervo M: Embryonic morphology and rate of implantation of human embryos following coculture on bovine oviductal epithelial cells. Hum Reprod 1993;8:97–101Google Scholar