The performance of a migrating corrosion inhibitor suitable for reinforced concrete
The protection provided by a migrating corrosion inhibitor (MCI) based on an alkylaminoalcohol was tested on concrete specimens containing reinforcing steel bar (rebar) segments. Two inhibitor dosages were investigated, together with two water/cement ratios and various chloride contents. The inhibition efficiency was followed over a period of 1000 days measuring electrical and electrochemical parameters such as the corrosion potential, the corrosion current density, the electrical resistance and performing electrochemical impedance spectra. The inhibitor was able to reduce the corrosion rate only when the initial chloride content was below 0.16 wt.% (percent weight relative to cement content). The efficiency increased as the water/cement ratio increased. There was no beneficial effect when the initial chloride content was greater than 0.43 wt.%. The efficiency of the product increased when the amount of inhibitor being applied doubled.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.D. Welle, K. Liao, M. Kaiser, U. Grunze, Mader and N. Blank, Appl. Surf. Sci. 119 (1997) 185.Google Scholar
- 2.B. Elsener, M. Buchler, F. Stalder and H. Bohni, Corrosion 55 (1999) 1155.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Elsener, M. Buchler, F. Stalder and H. Bohni, Corrosion 56 (2000) 727.Google Scholar
- 4.L. Mammoliti, C.M. Hansson and B.B. Hope, Cement Concrete Res. 29 (1999) 1583.Google Scholar
- 5.W. Morris and M. Vázquez, Cement Concrete Res. 32 (2002) 259.Google Scholar
- 6.W. Morris, M. Vazquez and S. Rosso, J. Mater. Sci. 35 (2000) 1885.Google Scholar
- 7.W. Morris, A. Vico, M. Vazquez and S.R. de Sanchez, Corros. Sci. 44 (2002) 81–99.Google Scholar
- 8.W. Morris, A. Sagues and E. Moreno, Cement Concrete Res. 26 (1996) 1779.Google Scholar
- 9.L. Lemoine, F. Wenger and J. Galland, in N.S. Backer, V. Chaker and D. Witinj (Eds), 'Corrosion Rates of Steel in Concrete', ASTM STP 1065, (ASTM, Philadelphia, 1990), p. 118.Google Scholar
- 10.D.G. John and P.C. Searson, and J.L. Dawson, Br. Corros. J. 16 (1981) 102.Google Scholar
- 11.C.L. Page, Nature 258 (1975) 5335.Google Scholar
- 12.ASTM C 876, 'Standard Test Method for Half-Cell Potential for Uncoated Reinforcing Steel in Concrete' (American Society of Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, 1987).Google Scholar