Ion exchange and sorption on shungite are studied. The results demonstrate that this mineral is capable of sorbing both inorganic cations and anions. Cation exchange predominates in alkaline solutions, and anion exchange, in acidified solutions. Organic acids are sorbed substantially better; the sorption of aromatic acids by shungite is selective.
KeywordsInorganic Chemistry Organic Acid Cation Exchange Sorb Anion Exchange
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shungity-novoe uglerodistoe syr'e (Shungite: A New Carboniferous Raw Material), Sokolov, V.A. et al., Eds., Petrozavodsk: Karelia, 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.Kovalevskii, V.V., Structure of Shungite Carbon, Zh. Neorg. Khim., 1994, vol. 39, no. 1, pp. 31–35.Google Scholar
- 3.Yushkin, N.P., Globular Supramolecular Structure of Shungite: Scanning Tunneling Microscopy Data, Dokl. Akad. Nauk, 1994, vol. 337, no. 6, pp. 800–803.Google Scholar
- 4.Buseck, P.R., Tsipursky, S.J., and Hettich, R., Fullerenes from Geological Environment, Science (Washington, D. C., 1883-), 1993, vol. 259, pp. 346–217.Google Scholar
- 5.Tikhomirova, V.I. and Desyatova, T.A., Iodide-Ion Sorption by Porphyrite and Shungite, Barrier Rocks for High-Activity Waste Disposal, Geokhimiya, 1998, no. 2, pp. 202–208.Google Scholar
- 6.Yaroslavtsev, A.B., Nikonenko, V.V., and Zabolotskii, V.I., Ionic Transport in Ion-Exchange and Membrane Materials, Usp. Khim., 2003, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 438–470.Google Scholar
- 7.Amphlett, C.B., Inorganic Ion Exchangers, Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1964.Google Scholar
- 8.Boyd, G.E., Adamson, A.W., and Myers, L.S., The Exchange Adsorption of Ions from Aqueous Solutions by Organic Zeolites: II. Kinetics, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1947, vol. 69, pp. 2836–2845.Google Scholar
- 9.Yaroslavtsev, A.B., Ion Exchange on Inorganic Sorbents, Usp. Khim., 1997, vol. 66, no. 7, pp. 641–660.Google Scholar
- 10.Sorokina, N.E., Nikol'skaya, I.V., Ionov, S.G., et al., Acceptor-Type Graphite Intercalation Compounds and New Related Carbon Materials, Usp. Khim., 2004, vol. 73 (in press).Google Scholar