Characterization of the IF Noise of a Submillimeter SIS Receiver
- 34 Downloads
A fitting method is presented here for the accurate characterization of the IF noise contribution of a sub-millimeter SIS receiver. By fitting the mixer's IF output power response and junction's IV curve of an SIS mixer without LO pumping, we can obtain the IF noise contribution, the physical temperature of the isolator connected just behind the SIS mixer, the output mismatching of the mixer, and the total gain of the IF chain. Differing from a conventional method, which only uses the normal-state (linear) branch of the junction's IV curve, the method proposed here also includes the nonlinear portion around the gap voltage. The dynamic resistance in this portion is varied dramatically, providing us a good probe to characterize the output mismatching of the mixer, as well as other parameters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J.R. Tucher, IEEE J. Quant. Eelet., 15,1234(1979).Google Scholar
- D.P. Woody, R.E. Miller, and M.J. Wengler, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., MTT 32, 90(1995).Google Scholar
- K.G. Isaak, S. Withington, and G. Yassin, Int. J. of IR and MM Waves, 21, 1427(2000).Google Scholar
- David P. Woody, IEEE Trans. Appl. Superconductivity, 5, 3312(1995).Google Scholar
- N.B. Dubash, G. Pacne and M.J. Wengler, IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., MTT 42, 715(1994).Google Scholar
- Levenberg, K., Quart. Appl. Math. 2, 164(1944).Google Scholar
- Marquardt, D., SIAM J. Appl. Math. 11, 431(1963).Google Scholar
- Y. Irimajiri, T. Noguchi, S.-C. Shi, T. Manabe, S. Ochiai, and H. Masuko, Int. J. of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, 21, 519(2000).Google Scholar