Mesopelagic Fish Larvae Species in the Strait of Sicily and their Relationships to Main Oceanographic Events
This work investigates the spatial distribution and species composition of mesopelagic fish larvae and their relationship with the main oceanographic events in the area studied. Samples were collected during a hydrographic and ichthyoplanktonic survey carried out in the Strait of Sicily in July 2000. Sorting revealed that 1258 out of the 4098 fish larvae identified belonged to mesopelagic species; Cyclothone braueri(67.6% of the total), Electrona Risso(7.8%) and Myctophum punctatum(7.7%) were the most prevalent species, with 850, 97, and 98 individuals, respectively. The surface density patterns of mesopelagic fish larvae appear to be related to the hydrographic characteristics and structures determined by the surface circulation path.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Doyle, M. J.,K. L. Mier, M. S. Busby & R. Brodeur,2002.Regional variations in springtime ichthyoplankton assemblages in the northeast Pacific Ocean.Progress in Oceanography 53:247–281.Google Scholar
- Hare, J. A.,M. P. Fahay & R. K. Cowen,2001.Springtime ichthyoplankton of the slope region o.the north-eastern United States of America:larval assemblages,relation to hydrography and implications for larval transport.Fisheries Oceanography 10:164–192.Google Scholar
- Lermusiaux, P. F. J. & A. R. Robinson,2001.Features of dominant mesoscale variability,circulation patterns and dynamics in the Strait of Sicily.Deep-Sea Research I 48: 1953–1997.Google Scholar
- Olivar, M. P.,A. Sabates, P. Abello & M. Garcia,1998. Transitory hydrographic structures and distribution of fish larvae and neustonic crustaceans in the north-western Mediterranean.Oceanologica Acta 21:95–104.Google Scholar
- Somarakis, S.,P. Drakopoulos & V. Filippou,2002.Distribution and abundance of larval sh in the northern Aegean Sea-Eastern Mediterranean-in relation to early summer oceanofraphic conditions.Journal of Plankton Research 24: 339–358.Google Scholar
- Tortonese, E.,1970.Fauna d 'Italia,Vol.X,Osteichthyes,part 1.Calderini, Bologna,565 pp.Google Scholar
- Robinson, A. R.,J. Sellschopp, A. Warn-Varnas, W. G. Leslie, C. J. Lozano, P. J. Haley, L. A. Anderson, & P. F. J. Lermusiaux,1999.The Atlantic Ionian Stream.Journal of Marine Systems 20:113–128.Google Scholar