Five parents of common vetch (Vicia sativa L.) having orange/beige cotyledon colour, brown/white testa colour, purple/green seedling colour and purple/white flower colour were crossed as a full diallele set. The inheritance patterns of cotyledon, testa or seed coat colour, flower and seedling colour, were studied by analyzing their F1, F2, BC1 and BC2 generations. The segregation pattern in F2, BC1 and BC2, showed that cotyledon colour was governed by a single gene with incomplete dominance and it is proposed that cotyledon colour is controlled by two allelic genes, which have been designated Ct1 and Ct2. Testa colour was governed by a single gene with the brown allele dominant and the recessive allele white. This gene has been given the symbol H. Two complementary genes governed both flower and seedling colours. These flower and seedling colour genes are pleiotropic and the two genes have been given the symbols S and F.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Donnelly, E. D., 1958. Inheritance of white flower color in common vetch. Agron J 50:763–764.Google Scholar
- Milczak, M., 1971a. A study of intervarietal hybrids of common vetch (Vicia sativa L.) II. Inheritance of some morphological features. Hodowla Roslin, Aklimatyzacja I Nasiennictwo 15(2): 113–132.Google Scholar
- Milczak, M., 1971b. A study of intervarietal hybrids of common vetch (Vicia sativa L.).Hodowla Roslin, Aklimatyzacja I Nasi-ennictwo(2):101–112.Google Scholar
- Prokof'eva, I. V., 1971. Inheritance of grain colour in spring vetch hy-brids in crosses of the varieties typical and immaculate.Kratkie itogi raboty za1969 g. Mold. NII selektsii, semenovodstva I agrotekhn. Polev. Kul'tur. 55–58.Google Scholar
- Sing, T. P. & R. S. Malhotra, 1975. Crossing technique in Mung Bean (Phaseolus aureus Roxb.). Curr Sci 44(2):64–65.Google Scholar
- Tate, M. E. & D. Enneking, 1992. A mess of red pottage. Nature 359:357–358.Google Scholar
- Tate, M. E., J. Rathjen, I. Delaere & D. Enneking, 2000. Covert trade in toxic vetch continues. Nature 400:207.Google Scholar
- Yashovskii, I. V., E. S. Garmash & I. V. Yashovsky, 1978. Inheritance of seed colour in hybrids of Vicia sativa L. Genetika, USSR 14(8):1423–1431.Google Scholar