Early Education in Ethiopia: Progress and Prospects
- 648 Downloads
Explored herein are historical roots of preschool through elementary grade education in the East Africa nation of Ethiopia. Also included are current difficult challenges to educational improvement as well as promising developments such as greater involvement of private institutions, organizations, and individuals in supporting Ministry of Education reform initiatives.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abebe, N. (1998). The new education and training policy of Ethiopia: Its implications on education for the years ahead. In A. Asgedom, W. Cummings, D. Dufera, J. Odharo, H. Wondimu, & G. Zewdie (Eds.), Quality education in Ethiopia: Visions for the 21st century (pp. 19–22). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: Addis Ababa University Press.Google Scholar
- esys/5erly_ch.htm}Google Scholar
- CIA-World Factbook-Ethiopia (2003). Retrieved November 10, 2003, from http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/et.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Isenberg, J. P., & Quisenberry, N. (2002). Play: Essential for all children. Position Paper of the Association for Childhood Education International. Childhood Education, 79(1), 33–39.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Education (MOE). (2000/2001). Education sector development program (ESDP). Program action plan for ESDP-H. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: EMPDA.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Education (MOE). (2002). The federal democratic republic of Ethiopia. Education statistics (2000/01). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia: EMPDA.Google Scholar
- Negash, T. (1996). Rethinking education in Ethiopia. Upssala, Sweden: Nordiska Afrikainstitutet.Google Scholar
- Pankhurst, R. (1955). Ethiopia: A cultural history. Esses, England: Lalibela House.Google Scholar
- Pankhurst, R. (1986). Historical background of education in Ethiopia. In M. L. Bender et al. (Eds.), Language in Ethiopia (pp. 305–323). London, England: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Pankhurst, R. (1992). A social history of Ethiopia. Trenton, NJ: Red Sea Press.Google Scholar
- Wagaw, T. G. (1979). Education in Ethiopia: Prospect and retrospect. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar