Supervisor Reduction for Discrete-Event Systems
In supervisory control theory (SCT) the supremal supervisor (representing the supremal controllable sublanguage) typically has a large state size (of order the product of state sizes of the plant and specification automata). In this paper, we propose an algorithm which can significantly reduce supervisor size while preserving control action. We also show that finding a supervisor of minimal size is NP-hard.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bron, C., and Kerbosch, J. 1973. Algorithm 457: Finding all cliques of an undirected graph. CACM 16(9): 575–577.Google Scholar
- de Queiroz, M. H., and Cury, J. E. R. 2002. Synthesis and implementation of local modular supervisory control for a manufacturing cell. In: M. Silva, A. Giua, J. M. Colom (eds.) Proc. 6th International Workshop on Discrete Event Systems (WODES' 02), Zaragoza, Spain, 2–4 October 2002, p. 377–382. IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Garey, M. R., and Johnson, D. S. 1979. Computers and Intractability. A Guide to the Theory of NP-Completeness. New York, USA: W. H. Freeman and Company.Google Scholar
- Hopcroft, J. E., and Ullman, J. D. 1979. Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation. Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Minhas, R. S. 2002. Complexity Reduction in Discrete Event Systems. Ph.D. Thesis, ECE Department, University of Toronto.Google Scholar
- Pfleeger, C. P. 1973. State reduction in incompletely specified finite-state machines. IEEE Trans. on Computers C-22(12): 1099–1102.Google Scholar
- Pena, J. M., and Oliveira, A. L. 1998. A new algorithm for the reduction of incompletely specified finite-state machines. In Proc. ICCAD98, CA: San Jose, November.Google Scholar
- Pardalos, P. M., and Xue, J. 1994. The maximum clique problem. Global Optimization 4: 301–328.Google Scholar
- Ramadge, P. J., and Wonham, W. M. 1987. Supervisory control of a class of discrete event processes. SIAM J. Control and Optimization 25(1): 206–230.Google Scholar
- Vaz, A. F., and Wonham, W. M. 1986. On supervisor reduction in discrete-event systems. International J. Control 44(2): 475–491.Google Scholar
- Wonham, W. M. 2002. Notes on Control of Discrete-Event Systems: ECE 1636F/1637S 2002–2003. Systems Control Group, Dept. of ECE, University of Toronto. URL: www.control.utoronto.ca/people/profs/wonham/wonham.htmlGoogle Scholar
- Wonham, W. M., and Ramadge, P. J. 1987. On the supremal controllable sublanguage of a given language. SIAM J. Control and Optimization 25(3): 637–659.Google Scholar