Who's Afraid of the Bad Little Fowl?
- 153 Downloads
The question this article addresses is: Is “Artemis” art? That is, how successful is Eoin Colfer's attempt to combine disparate forms, such as fairy stories, science fiction stories and thrillers in the three “Artemis Fowl” novels? Basic elements of story, such as narrative stance, characterisation and plot, as well as some particularly contemporary issues relating to political correctness, are examined in the search for an answer to that question.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Colfer, Eoin, Benny and Omar. Dublin: The O'Brien Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Benny and Babe. Dublin: The O'Brien Press, 1999.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, The Wish List. Dublin: The O'Brien Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Artemis Fowl. London: Viking, 2001.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident. London: Viking, 2002.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Artemis Fowl: the Eternity Code. London: Viking, 2003.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Artemis Fowl: The Seventh Dwarf. London: Viking, 2004.Google Scholar
- Colfer, Eoin, Eoin Colfer's Favourite Children's Books, www.books.guar-dian.co.uk (accessed June 03).Google Scholar
- Colfer Eoin, Eoin Colfer's Official Website, http://homepage.eircom.net/~eoincolfer65/index.htm (accessed February 04).Google Scholar
- Donohoe, Mary, From Wexford to the Arctic Circle, a Cultural Journey. Unpublished MA thesis, St Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin, 2003.Google Scholar
- Keenan, Celia, ‘Close up on Eoin Colfer,’ Inis: Magazine of Children's Books Ireland, Summer 2003, pp. 26–30.Google Scholar
- MacUistin, Liam, Celtic Magic Tales. Dublin: The O'Brien Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- O hOgain, Daithi, Myth Legend and Romance: an Encyclopaedia of the Irish Folk Tradition, London: New York: Prentice Hall Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- Perrot, Jean, “Le Défi Irlandais d'Artemis Fowl” [The Irish challenge of Arte-mis Fowl (my translation)] abstract, unpublished conference paper deliv-ered at Colloque: Espaces imaginaires et Litte´rature de Jeunesse. Institut International Charles Perrault, Eaubonne, Paris, 2001.Google Scholar
- Wachowski, Andy and Larry, writers and Directors, The Matrix, Warner bros. Studios, 1999.Google Scholar
- Watson, Victor, ‘Endpapers’ Signal no. 96, September 2001, pp. 209–211.Google Scholar