Autonomous Consumption: Buying Into the Ideology of Capitalism
- 357 Downloads
The purpose of this article is to examine three different approaches to autonomy in order to demonstrate how each leads to a different conclusion about the ethicality of advertising. I contend that Noggle's (1995) belief-based autonomy theory provides the most complete understanding of autonomy. Read in conjunction with Arendt's theory of cooperative power, Noggle's theory leads to the conclusion that advertising does not violate consumers' autonomy. Although it is possible for advertisers to abuse the power granted them by society these abuses do not constitute a violation of consumers' autonomy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arendt, H.: 1986, 'Communicative Power', in S. Lukes (ed.), Power (New York University Press, New York, NY), pp. 59-74.Google Scholar
- Arrington, R.: 1982, 'Advertising and Behavior Control', Journal of Business Ethics 1, 3-12.Google Scholar
- Christman, J.: 1988, 'Constructing the Inner Citadel: Recent Work on the Concept of Autonomy', Ethics 99 (October), 109-124.Google Scholar
- Crisp, R.: 1987, 'Persuasive Advertising, Autonomy, and the Creation of Desire', Journal of Business Ethics 6, 413-418.Google Scholar
- Haworth, L.: 1984, 'Autonomy and Utility', Ethics 95 (October), 5-19.Google Scholar
- Hiley, D.: 1987, 'Power and Values in Corporate Life', Journal of Business Ethics 6(5), 343-354.Google Scholar
- Jhally, S. (Producer &; Writer): 1998, Advertising &; the End of the World. [Video Cassette]. (Available from The Media Education Foundation, Northampton, MA).Google Scholar
- Lukes, S.: 1974, Power: A Radical View (Macmillan Education Ltd., London, England).Google Scholar
- Lukes, S.: 1986, Power (New York University Press, Washington Square, NY).Google Scholar
- Noggle, R.: 1995, 'Autonomy, Value and Conditioned Desire', American Philosophical Quarterly 32(1), 57-70.Google Scholar
- Sneddon, A.: 2001, 'Advertising and Deep Autonomy', Journal of Business Ethics 33, 15-28.Google Scholar