Quantitative characterisation of the morphology of Trichoderma harzianum cultured in shake-flasks and containing Tween 40
- 140 Downloads
Image analysis was used to measure the effect of Tween 40 on the morphology of Trichoderma harzianum. The percentage of pellets was maximal (93%) with Tween at 0.2 ml l−1, whereas the maximal proportion of dispersed mycelia (40%) was with Tween at 1.6 ml l−1. The particle median diameter decreased from 2 to 0.5 mm as Tween concentration was increased and was inversely correlated to the biomass dry weight. Adding pre-determined aliquots of Tween 40 to the culture medium can be used to define the morphological characteristics of Trichoderma harzianum in submerged shake-flask culture.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Braun S, Vecht-Lifshitz SE (1991) Mycelial morphology and metabolite production. Trends Biotechnol. 9: 63–68.Google Scholar
- Domingues 1, FC, Queiroz JA, Cabral JMS, Fonseca LP (2000) The influence of culture conditions on mycelial structure and cellulase production by Trichoderma reesei Rut C-30. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 26: 394–401.Google Scholar
- Galindo E, Flores C, Larralde-Corona CP, Corkidi-Blanco G, Rocha-Valadez JA, Serrano-Carreón L (2003) Production of 6-pentyl-?-pyrone by Trichoderma harzianum cultured in unbaffled and baffled shake flasks. Biochem. Eng. J., in press.Google Scholar
- Golberg I, Stieglitz B (1985) Improved rate of fumaric acid production by Tweens and vegetable oils in Rhizopus arrhizus. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: 1067–1069.Google Scholar
- Jimenez-Tobon GA, Penninckx MJ, Lejeune R (1997) The relationship between pellet size and production of Mn(II) peroxidase by Phanerochaete chrysosporium in submerged culture. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 21: 537–542.Google Scholar
- Johansen CL, Coolen L, Hunik JH (1998) Influence of morphology on product formation in Aspergillus awamori during submerged culture. Biotechnol. Prog. 14: 233–240.Google Scholar
- Metz B, Kossen NWF (1997) The growth of molds in the form of pellets-a literature review. Biotechnol Bioeng. 19: 781–799.Google Scholar
- Thomas CR (1992) Image analysis: putting filamentous microorganisms in the picture. Trends Biotechnol. 10: 343–348.Google Scholar
- Wynn JP, Ratledge C (2000) Evidence that the rate-limiting step for biosynthesis of arachidonic acid in Mortierella alpina is at the level of the 18: 3 to 20: 3 elongase. Microbiology 146: 2325–2331.Google Scholar