Immobilization of Pseudomonas delafieldii with magnetic polyvinyl alcohol beads and its application in biodesulfurization
Pseudomonas delafieldii was immobilized in magnetic polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) beads using a hydrophilic magnetic fluid, which was prepared by a co-precipitation method. The beads had distinct super-paramagnetic properties and were compared with immobilized cells in non-magnetic PVA beads. Their desulfurizing activity was increased slightly from 8.7 to 9 mmol sulfur kg−1 (dry cell) h−1. The main advantages was that the magnetic immobilized cells maintain a high desulfurization activity and remain in good shape after 7 times of repeated use, while the non-magnetic immobilized cells could only be used for 5 times. Furthermore, the magnetic immobilized cells could be easily collected or separated magnetically from the biodesulfurization reactor.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amanda KY, Wisecarver KD (1992) Cell immobilization using PVA crosslinked with boric acid. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 39: 447–449.Google Scholar
- Býlkova Z, Slovakova M, Horak D, Lenfeld J, Churácek J (2002) Enzymes immobilized on magnetic supports: efficient and selective system for protein modification. J. Chromatogr. B 770: 177–181.Google Scholar
- Chang JH, Chang YK, Ryu HW, Chang HN (2000) Desulfurization of light gas oil in immobilized-cell systems of Gordona sp. CYKS1 and Nocardia sp. CYKS2. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 182: 309–312.Google Scholar
- Chotani GK, Constaninides A (1984) Immobilized cell cross-flow reactor. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 26: 217–220.Google Scholar
- Chua H, Wong PK, Yu PHF (1998) The removal and recovery of copper(II) ions from wastewater by magnetite immobilized cells of Pseudomonas putida 5-X. Water Sci. Technol. 38: 315–322.Google Scholar
- Giuliano M, Schiraldi C, Maresca C, Esposito V, Rosa MD (2003) Immobilized Proteus mirabilis in poly(vinyl alcohol) cryogels for L(-)-carnitine production. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 32: 507–512.Google Scholar
- Hulst HC, Tramper J, Rict K (1985) A new technique for the production of immobilized biocatalyst in large quantities. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 27: 870–876.Google Scholar
- Lee J, Isobe T, Senna M (1996) Preparation of ultrafine Fe3O4 particles by precipitation in the presence of PVA at high pH. J. Colloid Interf. Sci. 177: 490–494.Google Scholar
- Liu XQ, Liu HZ, Xing JM, Guan YP, Ma ZY, Shan GB, Yang CL (2003) Preparation and characterization of superparamagnetic functional polymeric microparticles. Chin. Particuol. 1: 76–79.Google Scholar
- Luo MF, Xing JM, Gou ZX, Li S, Liu HZ, Chen JY (2003) Desulfurization of dibenzothiophene by lyophilized cells of Pseudomonas delafieldii R-8 in the presence of dodecane. Biochem. Eng. J. 13: 1–6.Google Scholar
- Naito M, Kawamoto T, Fujino K, Kobayashi M, Maruhashi K, Tanaka A (2001) Long-term repeated biodesulfurization by immobilized Rhodococcus erythropolis KA2-5-1 cells. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 55: 374–378.Google Scholar
- Ohshiro T, Izumi Y (1999) Microbial desulfurization of organic sulfur compounds in petroleum. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 63: 1–9.Google Scholar