Genetic Diversity and Relationship of Yunnan Native Cattle Breeds and Introduced Beef Cattle Breeds
- 91 Downloads
In this study, random amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD) analysis was used to estimate genetic diversity and relationship in 134 samples belonging to two native cattle breeds from the Yunnan province of China (DeHong cattle and DiQing cattle) and four introduced beef cattle breeds (Brahman, Simmental, MurryGrey, and ShortHorn). Ten primers were used, and a total of 84 bands were scored, of which 63 bands (75.0%) were polymorphic. The genetic distance matrix was obtained by proportions of shared fragment. The results indicate that the Yunnnan DeHong cattle breed is closely related to the Brahman (Bos indicus), and the Yunnan DiQing cattle breed is closely related to the Simmental, ShortHorn, and MurryGrey (Bos taurus) breeds. Our results imply that Bos indicus and Bos taurus were the two main origins of Yunnan native cattle. The results also provide the basic genetic materials for conservation of cattle resources and crossbreeding of beef cattle breeds in South China.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bardin, M. G., Bandi, C., Comincini, S., et al. (1992). Use of RAPDs markers to estimate genetic variation in bovine populations. Anim. Genet. 23:57.Google Scholar
- Chen, Y. C., Wang, Y. Y., and Cao, H. H., et al. (1990). Characteristics of Chinese Yellow Cattle Ecospecies and Their Course of Utilization, Agricultural Publishing House, Beijing, China.Google Scholar
- Gwakisa, P. S., Kemp, S. J., and Teale, A. J. (1994). Characterization of Zebu cattle breeds in Tanzania using random amplified polymorphic DNA markers. Anim. Genet. 25:89-94.Google Scholar
- He, Z. Q. (1999). Study on Genetic Diversity of Guizhou Native Cattle Populations Revealed by RAPD, PhD Dissertation, Guizhou Agricultural University.Google Scholar
- Kumar, S., Tamura, K., Jakobsen, I. B., and Nei, M. (2001). MEGA2: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis software, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ.Google Scholar
- Namikkawa, R., Amano, T., and Kawamoto, Y., et al. (1995). Coat-color variations, blood groups and blood protein/enzyme polymorphisms in the native cattle of Dali Bai and Xishuangbanna Dai autonomous prefectures of Yunnan province and Gayals (Bos gaurus frontalis) in China. Rep. Soc. Res. Native Livestock 15:27–28.Google Scholar
- Nei, M. (1979). Mathematical model for studying genetic variation in terms of restriction endonuclease. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 76(10):5267–5272.Google Scholar
- Qiu, H., Qing, Z. R., and Chen, Y. C., et al. (1988). Bovine Breeds in China, Shanghai Scientific and Technical Publishers, Shanghai, China.Google Scholar