Nonlinear Rate Dependent Model of High Damping Rubber Bearing
- 441 Downloads
The accurate analysis of the response of isolated structures requires the application of appropriate models of isolation devices. The purpose of this paper is to analyse a nonlinear strain rate dependent model of a high damping rubber bearing which simulates the horizontal behaviour of the device under specified vertical load using a nonlinear elastic spring-dashpot element. The effectiveness of the model is checked by fitting the experimental data concerning three different rubber bearings. The results of the study show that the model can simulate the bearing behaviour over a wide shear strain range with small simulation errors.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ahmadi, H.R., Fuller, K.N.G. and Muhr, A.H. (1996) Predicting response of non-linear high damping rubber isolation systems, Eleventh World Conf. on Earthquake Engrg., Acapulco, Mexico, 23-28 June, paper no. 1836.Google Scholar
- Kawashima, K., Okado, M. and Horikawa, M. (1993) Design example of a highway bridge based on the Manual for Menshin Design of Highway Bridges. Recent Selected Publications at Earthquake Engineering Division, Public Works Research Institute (No. 2), Ministry of Construction, Tsukuba, Japan, 191-208.Google Scholar
- Kelly, J.M. (1990) Base-isolation: Linear theory and design, Earthquake Spectra, 6(2), 223-244.Google Scholar
- Kelly, J.M. (1993) Earthquake-Resistant Design with Rubber, Springer-Verlag, London, U.K.Google Scholar
- Loh, C.-H. and Chung, S.-T. (1993) A three-stage identification approach for hysteretic systems, Earthquake Engrg. and Struct. Dyn., 22, 129-150.Google Scholar
- Mele, E., De Luca, A. and Ramasco, R. (1996) The effect of using different device numerical models on the global nonlinear behaviour of base isolated structures. Eleventh World Conf. on Earthquake Engrg., Acapulco, Mexico, 23-28 June, paper no. 1541.Google Scholar
- Pan, T.C. and Yang, G. (1996) Nonlinear analysis of base-isolated MDOF structures. Eleventh World Conf. on Earthquake Engrg., Acapulco, Mexico, 23-28 June, paper no. 1534.Google Scholar
- Peng, C.-Y. and Iwan, W.D. (1992) An identification methodology for a class of hysteretic structures. Earthquake Engrg. and Struct. Dyn., 21, 695-712.Google Scholar
- Skinner, R.I., Robinson, W.H. and McVerry, G.H. (1993) An Introduction to Seismic Isolation, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, U.K.Google Scholar
- Sugita, H. and Mahin, S.A. (1994) Manual for Menshin Design of Highway Bridges: Ministry of Construction, Japan, EERC Report No. 94/10, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California at Berkeley, USA.Google Scholar
- Tachibana, E. and Li, K. (1996) Temperature dependence of high damping rubber in base-isolated structures, Eleventh World Conf. on Earthquake Engrg. Acapulco, Mexico, 23-28 June, paper no. 492.Google Scholar
- Taniwangsa, W., Clark, P.W. and Kelly J.M. (1996) Natural Rubber Isolation Systems for Earthquake Protection of Low-Cost Buildings, EERC Report No. 95/12, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California at Berkeley, USA.Google Scholar