We present a collaborative recommender that uses a user-based model to predict user ratings for specified items. The model comprises summary rating information derived from a hierarchical clustering of the users. We compare our algorithm with several others. We show that its accuracy is good and its coverage is maximal. We also show that the algorithm is very efficient: predictions can be made in time that grows independently of the number of ratings and items and only logarithmically in the number of users.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Breese, J. S., Heckerman, D. & Kadie, C. (1998). Empirical Analysis of Predictive Algorithms for Collaborative Filtering. In Proceedings of the 14th Annual Conference on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence, 43–52.Google Scholar
- Bridge, D. & Kelleher, J. (2002). Experiments in Sparsity reduction: Using Clustering in Collaborative Recommenders. In O'Neill, M., Sutcliffe, R. F. E., Ryan, C., Eaton, M. & Griffith, N. J. L. (eds.) Proceedings of the Thirteenth Irish Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, 144–149, Springer.Google Scholar
- Chee, S. H. S. (2000). RecTree: A Linear Collaborative Filtering Algorithm. Master's Thesis, Simon Fraser University.Google Scholar
- Fisher, D., Hildrum, K., Hong, J., Newman, M. Thomas, M. & Vuduc, R. (2000). SWAMI: A Framework for Collaborative Filtering Algorithm Development and Evaluation. In Proceedings of SIGIR, 366–368.Google Scholar
- Herlocker, J. L. (2000). Understanding and Improving Automated Collaborative Filtering Systems. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Kohrs, A. & Merialdo, B. (1999). Clustering for Collaborative Filtering Applications. In Proceedings of CIMCA99. IOS Press.Google Scholar
- O'Connor, M. & Herlocker, J. (1999). Clustering Items for Collaborative Filtering. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGIR Workshop on Recommender Systems.Google Scholar
- Sarwar, B. M., Karypis, G., Konstan, J. A. & Riedl, J. (2001). Item-Based Collaborative Filtering Recommendation Algorithms. In Proceedings of the Tenth International World Wide Web Conference, 285–295.Google Scholar
- Ungar, L. & Foster, D. (1998). Clustering Methods for Collaborative Filtering. In AAAI Workshop on Recommendation Systems, 112–125.Google Scholar
- Wilke, W., Lenz, M. & Wess, S. (1998). Intelligent Sales Support with CBR. In M. L. Lenz et al. (ed.) Case-Based Reasoning Technology: From Foundations to Applications. Springer-Verlag, 91–113.Google Scholar