Variation of Lunar-Solar Tidal Force and Earthquakes in Taiwan Island of China
- 80 Downloads
This paper considers the relationship between 21 major earthquakes(Ms ≥ 7.0) in land and the offshore area of Taiwan island in the 20th century and thevariance ratio of the lunar-solar tidal force. The result indicates that the time of these earthquakes is closely related to the variance ratio of the lunar-solar tidal force, and therefore that the tidal force possibly plays an important role in triggering earthquakes.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ding, Zhongyi, Jia, Renkang, and Wang, Ren: 1983, 'Tidal Stress as a Triggering Mechanism for Earthquakes', Acta Seismol. Sin. 5, 172.Google Scholar
- Du, Pinren and Xu, Daoyi: 1989, An Introduction to Astroseismology, Seismic Press, Beijing.Google Scholar
- Fang, Jun: 1984, The Tide of Solid Earth, Science Press, Beijing.Google Scholar
- Gao, Ximin and Wang, Weizhong: 1983, 'On the Characteristics of the Phase of Solid Tidal Stress for Different Types of Earthquake Sequences Occurred in the Continent of China', Acta Seismol. Sin. 5, 323.Google Scholar
- Han, Yanben, Li, Zhian, and Tian, Jing: 1996, 'The Researching of the Relation of Occurrence Time of Earthquakes and the Solar-Lunar Tidal Force in Some Areas of China', Progr. Geophys. 11, 114-122.Google Scholar
- Heaton, T. H.: 1975, 'Tidal Triggering of Earthquakes', Geophys. J. Roy. Astrom. Soc. 43, 307.Google Scholar
- Hiroshi, Tsuruoka, Masakazu, Ohtake, and Haruo, Sato: 1995, 'Statistical Test of the Tidal Triggering of Earthquakes, Contribution of the Ocean Tide Loading Effect', Geophys. J. Int. 122, 183-194.Google Scholar
- Knopoff, L.: 1964, 'Earth Tides as a Triggering Mechanism for Earthquakes', Bull. Soc. Am. 54, 1865-1870.Google Scholar
- Wu, Xiaoping, Mao, Wei, Huang, Yong, and Jiang, Jun: 1999, 'Statistical Analysis of Tidal Stress Effect on Seismic Faults', Chin. Geophys. 42(Suppl.), 65-74.Google Scholar