In vitro propagation of Syzygium travancoricum Gamble – an endangered tree species
- 268 Downloads
Rapid multiplication in Syzygium travancoricum, an endangered tree species was achieved from nodal explants on Murashige and Skoog's (MS) medium supplemented with Woody Plant Medium (WPM) micronutrients and plant growth regulators. Multiple shoot induction from young 1–2-year-old seedlings was observed on basal medium supplemented with 17.7 μM benzyladenine and 1.3 μM α-naphthalene acetic acid. A high number of multiple shoots (25 shoots/nodal explant) was observed by the third subculture on multiplication medium. The dark brown nodular callus obtained from in vitro grown shoots through axillary buds regenerated at a high frequency when transferred to 1/2 strength basal medium. The plants rooted on 1/2 strength basal medium supplemented with 1.1 μM indole-3-acetic acid and were transferred to the field with 40% survival.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1956) In: The Wealth of India, Raw materials. Vol (X); Publication and Information Directorate CSIR (p 93), New Delhi, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Joshi MS & Thengane SR (1996) In vitro propagation of Azadirachta indica A. Juss (neem) by shoot proliferation. Ind. J. Exp. Biol. 34: 480–482Google Scholar
- Lloyd G & McCown B (1981) Commercially feasible micropropagation of mountain laurel, Kalmia latifolia by the use of shoot tip culture. Proc. Int. Plant Prop. Soc. 30: 421–427Google Scholar
- Mathew KM & Hariharan M (1990) In vitro multiple shoot regeneration in Syzygium aromaticum. Ann. Bot. 65: 277–279Google Scholar
- Murashige T & Skoog F (1962) A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue culture. Physiol. Plant. 15: 473–497Google Scholar
- Nayar MP & Sastry ARK (1987) Red Data Book of Indian Plants (Vol. 1), Botanical Survey of India (p 217), Calcutta, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Rahman SM, Hossain M, Biswas BK, Joarder OI & Islam R (1993) Micropropagation of Caesalpina pulcherrima through nodal bud culture of mature tree. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 32: 363–365Google Scholar
- Suparman U & Blake J (1990) Studies on tissue culture of clove tree plant. Indonesian J. Crop Sci. 5: 67–75Google Scholar
- Yadav U, Lal M & Jaiswal VS (1990) In vitro micropropagation of the tropical fruit tree Syzygium cuminii L. Plant Cell Tiss. Org. Cult. 21: 87–92Google Scholar