Genetic Algorithm for Graph Coloring: Exploration of Galinier and Hao's Algorithm
- 270 Downloads
This paper examines the best current algorithm for solving the Chromatic Number Problem, due to Galinier and Hao (Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 379–397, 1999). The algorithm combines a Genetic Algorithm with Tabu Search. We show that the algorithm remains powerful even if the Tabu Search component is eliminated, and explore the reasons for its success where other Genetic Algorithms have failed. In addition we propose a generalized algorithm for the Frequency Assignment Problem.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Carpaneto and P. Toth, “Algorithm 548: Solution of the assignment problem,” ACM Transactions of Mathematical Software, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 104-111, 1980.Google Scholar
- D. Costa, A. Hertz, and O. Dubuis, “Embedding a sequential procedure within an evolutionary algorithm for coloring problems,” Journal of Heuristics, vol. 1, pp. 105-128, 1995.Google Scholar
- D.S. David, S. Johnson, C.R. Aragon, L.A. McGeoch, and C. Schevon, “Optimization by simulated annealing: An experimental evaluation; part II, graph coloring and number partitioning,” Operations Research, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 378-406, 1991.Google Scholar
- L. Davis, Handbook of Genetic Algorithms, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Eisenblätter and A. Koster, “FAP web-a website about frequency assignment problems,” 2000. Available on the world wide web at http://fap.zib.de/Google Scholar
- C. Fleurent and J.A. Ferland, “Genetic and hybrid algorithms for graph coloring,” Annals of Operations Research, vol. 63, pp. 437-461, 1996.Google Scholar
- P. Galinier and J.K. Hao, “Hybrid evolutionary algorithms for graph coloring,” Journal of Combinatorial Optimization, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 379-397, 1999.Google Scholar
- C.A. Glass and A. Prügel-Bennett, “A polynomially searchable exponential neighbourhood for graph coloring,” 1998. Available on the world wide web at http://www.bib.ecs.soton.ac.uk/cgi-bin/record/6935.Google Scholar
- A. Hertz and D. De Werra, “Using tabu search techniques for graph coloring,” Computing, vol. 39, pp. 345-351, 1987.Google Scholar
- D.S. Johnson and M.A. Trick (Eds.), DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, vol. 26, American Mathematical Society, 1996. Available via ftp from ftp://dimacs.rutgers.edu/ pub/challenge/graph/benchmarks/.Google Scholar
- C. Morgenstern, “Distributed coloration neighborhood search,” in Cliques, Coloring, and Satisfiability: Second DIMACS Implementation Challenge, 1993, DIMACS Series in Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science, D.S. Johnson and M.A. Trick (Eds.), American Mathematical Society, vol. 26, pp. 335-357, 1996.Google Scholar