Plant Biotests for Soil and Water Contaminated with Oil and Oil Products
- 65 Downloads
Reactions of higher plants (mustard, oat, rye, lettuce, dill and barley) and microalgae (Euglena gracilis) to the contamination of soil and water with oil and oil products was studied. The germination of seeds was analyzed. The length of sprouts, dry biomass and length of plant roots, as well as the optical density of microalgal broth culture were determined. Negative effects of soil and water contamination with oil and oil products on plant and microalgal parameters examined was shown. After biological destruction of contaminants by an association of destructor strains (Acinetobactersp., Mycobacterium flavescens andRhodoccocussp.), the toxicity of contaminated mediums decreased. The data suggest that the integral toxicity of soil and water contaminated with oil and oil products and toxicity changes during biodestruction of these pollutants can be analyzed by using plant test organisms.
KeywordsBiomass Toxicity Optical Density Microalgae Plant Root
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thomas, J.M. and Cline, J.F., Environ. Toxicol. Chem., 1985, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 201–207.Google Scholar
- 2.Kartsev, V.G., Ostroumov, S.A., and Pavlova, I.A., Allelopatiya i produktivnost' rastenii (Allelopathy and Plant Productivity), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1990, pp. 124–129.Google Scholar
- 3.Wang, W., Rev. Environ. Contam. Toxicol., 1992, vol. 126, pp. 87–127.Google Scholar
- 4.Fomchenkov, V.M., Kholodenko, V.P., Irkhina, I.A., Petukhov, V.N., and Baidus', O.A., Biotestirovanie integral'noi toksichnosti zagryaznennykh vod i pochv (Biological Testing of the Integral Toxicity of Contaminated Water and Soil), Moscow: NIIEMP, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.Eterevskaya, L.V. and Yarantseva, L.D., Rasteniya i promyshlennaya sreda (Plants and Industrial Mediums), Kiev: Naukova Dumka, 1976, pp. 73–75.Google Scholar
- 6.Vasil'eva, T.V., Kozhanova, G.A., Tul'chinskaya, V.P., and Ovsyannikova, M.N., Metody biotestirovaniya vod (Methods of Water Biological Testing), Chernogolovka: Inst. Fiziki AN SSSR, 1988, pp. 80–83.Google Scholar
- 7.Katalog kul'tur mikrovodoroslei v kollektsiyakh SSSR (Catalog of Microalgal Cultures in USSR Collections), Moscow: ONTI NTsBI RAN, 1991.Google Scholar