Does Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS) Resolve Thrombocytopenia Associated with Cirrhosis?
- 95 Downloads
Thrombocytopenia is frequently present inpatients with cirrhosis. The effect of portaldecompression on thrombocytopenia using a variety ofshunt procedures has been contradictory. Transjugularintrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) has been proposed asa less invasive procedure for portal decompression,mainly for control of variceal bleeding or intractableascites. Its effect on thrombocytopenia has not been defined yet. The aim of this review is todefine the effect of TIPS on patients with cirrhosis andthrombocytopenia. Sixty-two patients who underwent TIPSat the University of Pittsburgh and survived without transplant for more than two monthswere included. Platelet count was determined prior toTIPS as well as at one-week, one-month, and three-monthintervals after TIPS. The prevalence of thrombocytopenia prior to TIPS was 49%. TIPS had no effect onthrombocytopenia even when the portosystemic gradientwas reduced to less than 12 mm Hg. In conclusion, portaldecompression after TIPS did not affect the degree of thrombocytopenia.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Moschcowitz E: The pathogene sis of splenome galy in hype rtension of the portal circulation: “conge stive splenomegaly.” Medicine 27:187, 1948Google Scholar
- 4.Felix WR, Myerson R, Sigel B, Perrin E, Jackson F: The effect of portacaval shunt on hyperslenism. Surg Gynecol Obstet 139:899-903, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.Morris PW, Patton TB, Balint JA, Hirschowitz BL: Portal hype rtension, conge stive splenomegaly, and portacaval shunt. Gastroente rology 42:555-559, 1962Google Scholar
- 15.Jabbour N, Zajko A, Orons P, Irish W, et al: Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt in patients with end-stage liver disease: Expe rience in candidate and noncandidate patient for liver transplantation. Liver Transplant Surg 2(2):139- 147, 1996Google Scholar
- 16.Moore RM, Singleton AO: Spontaneous remission in Banti's syndrome and remission following splenectomy. InCurrent Surgical Manageme nt. Philadelphia, WB Saunders, 1957Google Scholar
- 21.Paramo JA, Rocha E: Hemostasis in advanced liver disease. Sem in Thromb Hemost 19( 3):184-190, 1993Google Scholar