Psyllium Improves Fecal Consistency and Prevents Enhanced Secretory Responses in Jejunal Tissues of Piglets Infected with ETEC
- 52 Downloads
Infection with enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC)induces secretory diarrhea by stimulating net secretionof fluid and electrolytes. We tested the hypothesis thatETEC potentiates jejunal ion secretion induced by other agonists and also examined whether thesoluble fiber psyllium ameliorates effects ofETEC-induced pathophysiology. Noninfected orETEC-infected piglets were given oral electrolytesolution twice daily or electrolyte solution supplemented withpsyllium for 48 hr. Jejunal tissues were mounted in fluxchambers and basal and stimulated ion transportresponses, as reflected by short-circuit current (ISC) were measured. The severity ofETEC-induced diarrhea was reduced by psyllium.ISC responses to carbachol and5-hydroxytryptamine were greater in tissues frominfected piglets compared with noninfected controls or infected piglets given psyllium.These results suggest that psyllium amelioratesETEC-induced diarrhea and prevents the enhancedsecretory responses to calcium-mediated agonists thatoccur in ETEC-infected piglet jejunum.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Levine SA, Donowitz M, Watson AJM, Sharp GWG, Crane JK, Weikel CS: Characterization of the synergistic interaction of Escherichia coliheat-stable toxin and carbachol. Am J Physiol (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) 261:G592- G601, 1991Google Scholar
- 7.Darmon N, Heyman M, Candalh C, Blaton MA, Desjeux JF: Anaphylactic intestinal response to milk proteins during malnutrition in guinea pigs. Am J Physiol (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) 270:G442- G448, 1996Google Scholar
- 8.Carey HV, Hayden UL, Tucker KE: Fasting alters basal and stimulated ion transport in piglet jejunum. Am J Physiol (Regul Integr Comp Physiol) 267:R156 - R163, 1994Google Scholar
- 9.Wapnir RA, Wingertzahn MA, Mayse J, Teichberg S: Gum arabic promotes rat jejunal sodium and water absorption from oral rehydration solutions in two models of diarrhea. Gastroente rology 112:1979 - 1985, 1997Google Scholar
- 12.Hart GK, Dobb GJ: Effect of a fecal bulking agent on diarrhea during enteral feeding in the critically ill. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 12:465- 468, 1988Google Scholar
- 18.Guandalini S, Rao MC, Smith PL, Field M: cGMP modulation of ileal ion transport: In vitroe ffects of Escherichia coliheatstable enterotoxin. Am J Physiol (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) 243:G36 - G41, 1982Google Scholar
- 20.Brown DR, O'Grady SM: Regulation of ion transport in the porcine intestinal tract by enteric neurotransmitters and hormones. Comp Biochem Physiol (A) 118:309 - 317, 1997Google Scholar
- 23.Saunders PR, Kosecka U, McKay DM, Perdue MH: Acute stressors stimulate ion se cre tion and increase epithelial permeability in rat intestine. Am J Physiol (Gastrointest Liver Physiol) 267:G794 - G799, 1994Google Scholar