Electrochemical impedance studies of a decade-aged magnesium/manganese dioxide primary cell
A Mg/MnO2 primary cell yields specific energy higher than a conventional Zn/MnO2 cell. Additionally, the shelf life of the Mg/MnO2 cell is extremely high. These cells, which were more than a decade old, were investigated for their discharge capacity, delay-time behaviour and impedance characteristics. The values of discharge capacity and the delay-time of an aged Mg/MnO2 cell were comparable to those of a fresh cell. The voltage dip on initiation of a galvanostatic current, however, was rather large. This was attributed to the presence of a thick, and highly resistive, surface passive film on theMg anode. The complex plane electrochemical impedance spectrum of a partially discharged cell consisted of two semicircles whose sizes decreased with decrease of state-of-charge of the cell. The a.c. frequency corresponding to the maximum value of the imaginary part of the high frequency semicircle was shown to be a useful parameter for estimation of the state-of-charge of the cell. The resistance parameters of a partially discharged Mg/MnO2 cell increased linearly with open circuit ageing time. This feature was attributed to growth of a passive surface layer on the Mg anode.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J.L. Robinson, in 'The Primary Battery', vol. 2 edited by N.C. Cahoon and G.W. Heise (J. Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976), p. 149.Google Scholar
- 2.S.R. Narayanan and S. Sathyanarayana, J. Power Sources 15 (1985) 27.Google Scholar
- 3.S.R. Narayanan and S. Sathyanarayana, J. Power Sources 24 (1988) 51.Google Scholar
- 4.S.R. Narayanan and S. Sathyanarayana, J. Power Sources 24 (1988) 295.Google Scholar
- 5.B.V. Ratna Kumar and S. Sathyanarayana, J. Power Sources 10 (1983) 219.Google Scholar
- 6.M.J. Root, J. Appl. Electrochem. 25 (1995) 1057.Google Scholar
- 7.J.E.B. Randles, Discuss. Faraday Soc. 1 (1947) 111.Google Scholar
- 8.S.A.G.R. Karunathilaka, N.A. Hampson, R. Leek and T.J. Sinclair, J. Appl. Electrochem. 10 (1980) 357.Google Scholar
- 9.S.A.G.R. Karunathilaka, N.A. Hampson, R. Leek and T.J. Sinclair, J. Appl. Electrochem. 10 (1980) 603.Google Scholar
- 10.S.A.G.R. Karunathilaka, N.A. Hampson, R. Leek and T.J. Sinclair, J. Appl. Electrochem. 10 (1980) 799.Google Scholar
- 11.M.L. Gopikanth and S. Sathyanarayana, J. Appl. Electrochem. 9 (1979) 581.Google Scholar