The Cleveland Scale for Activities of Daily Living (CSADL): Its Reliability and Validity
- 48 Downloads
This study evaluated the reliability and validity of the Cleveland Scale for Activities of Daily Living (CSADL), a scale designed to measure in detail specific activities of daily living in individuals with dementia. Administered to knowledgeable informants by trained examiners, the CSADL demonstrated good reliability in terms of interrater agreement and internal consistency. The validity of CSADL total scores was shown by its sensitivity to degree of cognitive impairment: All comparisons between means of the healthy elderly group and three groups of AD patients differing in severity were statistically significant. The CSADL was highly correlated with the Blessed–Roth Dementia Scale (DS-ADL) and more highly correlated with Mini-Mental State Exam scores than was the DS-ADL.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beck, C. K., and Frank, L. B. (1997). Assessing functioning and self-care abilities in Alzheimerdisease research. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord. 11(Suppl. 6): 73–80.Google Scholar
- Blessed, G., Tomlinson, B. E., and Roth, M. (1968). Theassociation between quantitative measures of dementia and of senile change in the cerebral gray matter of elderly subjects. Br. J. Psychiat. 114: 797–811.Google Scholar
- G´elinas, I., and Auer, S. (1996). Functional autonomy. In Gauthier, S. (ed.),Clinical Diagnosis and Management of Alzheimer's Disease, Martin Dunitz, London, pp. 191–202.Google Scholar
- Hughes, C. P., Berg, L., Danziger, W. L., Coben, L. A., and Martin, R. L. (1982). A new clinical scale for the staging of dementia. Br. J. Psychiat. 140: 566–572.Google Scholar
- McKhann, G., Drachman, D., Folstein, M., Katzman, R., Price, D., and Stadlan, E. M. (1984). Clinical diagnosis ofAlzheimer's disease. Report of the NINCDS-ADRDA Work Group under the auspices of Department of Health and Human Services Task Force on Alzheimer's Disease. Neurology 34: 939–944.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Patterson, M. B.,and Mack, J. L. (1998). Cleveland Scale for Activities of Daily Living (CSADL): Manual, University Alzheimer Center, Cleveland, OH.Google Scholar
- Patterson, M. B., Mack, J. L., Neundorfer, M. M., Martin, R. M., Smyth, K. A., and Whitehouse, P. J.(1992). Assessment of functional ability in Alzheimer disease: A review and a preliminary report on the Cleveland Scale for Activities of Daily Living. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord. 6: 145–163.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Spector, W. D. (1997). Measuringfunctioning in daily activities for persons with dementia. Alzheimer Dis. Assoc. Disord. 11(Supp 6): 81–90.Google Scholar