Preliminary study of the newly discovered tobacco species Nicotiana wuttkei Clarkson et Symon
- 50 Downloads
The species Nicotiana wuttkei was discovered in north-eastern Queensland, Australia and first described in 1991 by J.R. Clarkson and D.E. Symon. According to the description provided by those investigators N. wuttkei morphologically resembles the species of the section Suaveolentes and contains an atypical chromosome number of 2n = 28. The chromosome number of N. wuttkei was verified as 2n = 32. Of the 32-chromosome members of the section Suaveolentes N. wuttkei was successfully hybridized with N. maritima Wheeler and N. velutina Wheeler. Plant morphology and chromosome pairing data suggest that N. wuttkei has a closer affinity to N. maritima than to N. velutina. The species was tested for resistance to some tobacco diseases: blackroot rot, blue mold, TSWV, PVY, TRV. N. wuttkei seems to share resistance to blue mold caused by Peronospora tabacina Adam with many other species of the section including all of the 32-chromosome group. Unlike N. maritima it is susceptible to black root rot in which it resembles N. velutina and N. suaveolens Lehmann.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anon 1990. Illustrated Book of the Genus Nicotiana. Japan Tobacco Inc. Plant Breeding and Genetics Research Laboratory.Google Scholar
- Burns J.A. 1964. A technique for making preparations of mitotic chromosomes from Nicotiana flowers. Tob. Sci. 8: 1-2.Google Scholar
- Burns J.A. 1982. The chromosomes of Nicotiana africana Merxm. a recently discovered species. J. Hered. 73: 115-118.Google Scholar
- Clarkson J.R. and Symon D.E. 1991. Nicotiana wuttkei (Solanaceae), a new species from north-eastern Queensland with an unusual chromosome number. Austrobaileya 3: 389-392.Google Scholar
- Delon R., Poisson C., Bardon J.-C. and Taillurat P. 1999. Les Nicotianees en collection a l'institut du tabac. Seita - Institut du Tabac. Bergerac, France.Google Scholar
- Goodspeed T.H. 1954. The genus Nicotiana. Chronica Botanica. Waltham Mass, USA.Google Scholar
- Kostoff D. 1943. Cytogenetics of the genus Nicotiana. State Printing House, Sofia.Google Scholar
- Masiak D. 1982. Badania nad zakresem ro?lin ?ywicielskich nowej rasy Peronospora tabacina Adam.-PT-2. Biul. CLPT 1-4: 33-46.Google Scholar
- Samek D. and Jankowski F. 1987. Badania nad metod?a oceny stopnia podatno?ci odmian tytoniu na czarn?a zgnilizn?e korzeniow?a (Thielaviopsis basicola Ferr.) w warunkach szklar-niowych. Biul. CLPT 1-4: 91-104.Google Scholar
- Tsakiridis J.P. and Gooding G.V. 1972. Tomato spotted wilt virus in Greece. Phytopatologia Mediterranea 11: 42-47.Google Scholar