Configuration of p-Cycles in WDM Networks with Partial Wavelength Conversion
- 49 Downloads
The p-cycle concept offers a capacity-efficient and rapid protection mechanism for mesh-restorable networks. This work investigates the configuration of span protecting p-cycles in wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) networks with limited wavelength conversion. An important point of view is the relation between the costs associated with the number of required wavelength converters, and the protection capacity-efficiency achieved. We formulate mathematical models and solve the respective optimization problems for a pan-European network as a test-case. An interesting finding is that the total number of converters required for the network as a whole can be greatly reduced, with only a small increase in spare capacity for protection by a strategy of associating wavelength converters with the access points between a pure wavelength path (WP) working layer and a set of pure WP p-cycle protection structures.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Batchelor, et al., Ultra high capacity optical transmission networks, Final report of action COST239, 1999.Google Scholar
- W. D. Grover, J. E. Doucette, Advances in optical network design with p-cycles: Joint optimization and pre-selection of candidate p-cycles, Proc. of IEEE-LEOS Summer Topical Meeting, (Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada, July 2002), pp. 49-50.Google Scholar
- W. D. Grover, D. Stamatelakis, Cycle-oriented distributed preconfiguration: Ring-like speed with mesh-like capacity for self-planning network restoration, Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 1998, (Atlanta, Georgia, USA, June 1998), vol. 1, pp. 537-543.Google Scholar
- W. D. Grover, D. Stamatelakis, Bridging the ring-mesh dichotomy with p-cycles, Proc. of IEEE/VDE Design of Reliable Communication Networks (DRCN) 2000, (Munich, Germany, April 2000), pp. 92-104.Google Scholar
- D. A. Schupke, Off-line lightpath routing in WDM networks with different wavelength converter configurations, Proc. of IEICE/IEEE Workshop on High Performance Switching and Routing (HPSR) 2002 (Budapest, Hungary, May 2002), pp. 283-288.Google Scholar
- D. A. Schupke, C. G. Gruber, A. Autenrieth, Optimal configuration of p-cycles in WDM networks, Proc. of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) 2002 (New York, NY, USA, April/May 2002), vol. 5, pp. 2761-2765.Google Scholar